Corbett Preparatory School of IDS
5.00 (3 reviews)
Corbett Preparatory School of IDS Photo #2 - The curriculum is integrated into the entire environment both indoor and outdoor, through meaningful experiences, excitement, investigation, and a love of learning.
Corbett Preparatory School of IDS Photo #3 - Corbett Prep teachers are endorsed in Gifted Education through a masters level grant with the University of South Florida. Corbett Prep is fully accredited by the Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS), Southern Association of Colleges & Schools (SACS), and by the Florida Kindergarten Council, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), @ Bay Area Independent Schools (BAISS)
Corbett Preparatory School of IDS Photo #4 - Corbett Prep's student body consists of over 500 college bound students enrolled in PreK3 through 8th grade. Contact the Admissions Office for a Personal Tour. (813) 961-3087 www.corbettprep.com
- For 50 years, Corbett Preparatory School of IDS, a fully accredited, nonsectarian school, has balanced a dynamic, nurturing, and safe learning environment with high academic standards and expectations to develop a positive approach to life and learning. Corbett Prep is authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Programme (IB) at all grade levels, including the Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students in PreK3 through 5th grade and the Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students in grades 6 through 8. Corbett Prep is a National Department of Education Blue Ribbon Award School. Corbett Prep faculty are endorsed in gifted education through a master's-level partnership grant with the University of South Florida. Teachers put children first, attending to each child as both an individual and as a member of a collaborative learning community.
- At Corbett Prep, the ultimate goal is to combine: joy with challenge, stimulating and inspiring lessons with productivity and results, and a strong work ethic focused on excellence with ethical conduct that emphasizes dignity and respect for all. Corbett Prep is a model school of best teaching practices that has hosted more than 7,000 visitors who have come to observe and learn from teachers who employ the most current, brain-based research to accelerate the learning process.
- At Corbett Prep, students develop the critical thinking, creativity, communication, and teamwork skills that are imperative for success in the 21st century.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||CAMP IDS is open to the Tampa Bay community. For camp information and costs please visit https://www.corbettprep.com/community/camp-ids|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2004|
|Total Students||564 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Corbett Prep shirt required ~ many options from which to choose)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,020|
|Tuition Notes||Please check the website for current tuition information. https://www.corbettprep.com/admissions/tuition-and-forms|
|Admissions Director||Maribel Garrett|
|Admissions Associate||Dawn Bronson|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||40 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||All State Chorus Prep, Art, Band, Brain-Building Puzzles, Cultural Explorations, Debate, French, Go Green Club, Musical Theatre, Robotics, Science Olympiad, Stock Market Club, Student Council, The One Act (drama), Thespians, Yearbook|
Club or Organization:
Chess Club, Computer Programming, Computers, Garden Club, Little Fiesta Spanish, Photography, Running Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Ballet, Dance- Acro, Drama, etc., Guitar, Hip Hop, Jazz, Piano, Tap, Violin, Voice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Developmental Tennis, Fishing and Canoeing, Flag Football, Gymnastics and Tumbling, Matball
- Corbett Preparatory School of IDS was founded in 1968 and is dedicated to stimulating childrens' natural intellectual curiosity, supporting their emotional well-being, and encouraging their strength of character.The faculty consists of highly skilled teachers who consistently study to bring the best practices of education to life in the classroom.Teachers use interactive teaching techniques such as cooperative learning, multiple intelligences, gifted learning strategies, and integrated curriculum to promote involvement in all aspects of student life. State-of-the-art technology is an integral part of learning in PreK3 through 8th grade.Along with exciting sports and robust performing arts curriculum, programs are designed to tap into students' multiple intelligences.Dedicated to educational excellence, Corbett Prep has taken a leadership role in addressing the need for progressive teacher training by extending its exemplary staff development program to interested outside educators.Corbett Prep's book It's All About Kids: Every Child Deserves a Teacher of the Year describes how the school combines the best in academics with social, emotional, and physical well being.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Tampa Grades: NS-12 | 1033 students
1515 W. Bearss Avenue
Tampa, FL 33613
(813)920-2288 2.9 NS-12
I have been a parent at Corbett Preparatory School of IDS (formerly Independent Day School) since 2012. Being a career-long educator myself, I knew exactly what tenets I was looking for in a school for my children and I knew the type of environment the school would need to organicly emit in order for me to seriously consider my children being there. From the moment that I first stepped onto Corbett's campus, I knew that this was a special school. There are so many positives that completely prepare the students for higher learning and for life in general. My oldest graduated from Corbett last year and has moved onto high school. She was fully prepared for the transition to high school because of her experience at Corbett from 4th grade through 8th grade. Her study habits were honed and sharpened. Her global view was intensified and broadened. Her appreciation for new learning was immensely impacted. She became an all-around, well-rounded student through her experience at Corbett and it has directly led to her success in her first year of high school.My two youngest children are also having a superb educational experience at Corbett. Their teachers have been wonderful from year to year. Their experience has been top-notch and it has only made me wish that I had brought my oldest to Corbett earlier than I did.Corbett is the most well-rounded school that I have ever seen in my career. The whole child is truly taught, appreciated and cared for at Corbett. I truly can recommend Corbett both as a parent and as an educator. If you are looking for the best possible, most well-rounded education for your child(ren), you need look no further than Corbett.
- Posted by Parent - WS2
My son started at Corbett Prep in PreK4, and I love seeing how he has developed into a thoughtful, confident, imaginative student in the past 5 years. Corbett Prep provides students with a well-rounded education that embraces hands-on learning and values the arts and sciences. The accepting and supportive nature of teachers and students makes it a safe place for students to try new things and pursue their passions. Students grow comfortable working in teams, asking questions and speaking before crowds - all skills they need to succeed in the working world. Innovative, out-of-the-box lessons make every student an active participant in his or her learning and often spark interests that carry outside the classroom as well. We love it here!
- Posted by Parent - Corbett Prep Mom
The biggest thing you notice when you walk into classrooms at Corbett Prep is how happy and engaged the students are in their lessons. They may be moving around the room, working outside or talking in teams, but all of the students are involved in what they are learning. This is because the teachers understand brain research for how children learn (and that not all students learn the same way), and they plan creative lessons that capture students' attention and make them active participants in their education.
- Posted by Parent - 4th Grade Mom
The benefits of studying a dead language.
Tuition at private schools varies from nothing at a few schools to over $100,000 for the most expensive school.
Finding a school which will accept your child after the normal admissions deadline has passed is not easy. But it can be done.