5.00 (1 review)
All students take a weekly dance class taught by a professional dancer. Above, members of the Dance Club rehearse for their performance at the annual Evening of the Arts.
D.A. maintains a student-teacher ratio of 8:1. The average class is 18-20 students, with many electives having as few as 8-10 students.
- Dominican Academy has been educating young women intellectually, emotionally, socially, and spiritually since 1897.
- Located in the heart of the Upper East Side on 68th Street between Park and Madison Avenues, Dominican Academy (D.A.) consistently ranks among New York City's best high schools.
- Operated by the Dominican Sisters of Peace and lay staff, D.A. unites academic excellence and an all-honors curriculum with an intimate, family-like atmosphere.
- D.A. challenges and empowers young women to be local and global leaders in the 21st century.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1996|
|Total Students||232 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Economics, English, Environmental Science, European History, Government, Latin, Physics, U.S. History,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 5 / Dec. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,200|
|Tuition Notes||Several scholarships, ranging from a one-time grant as an incoming freshman to a full tuition scholarship are available. Scholarship awards are based on merit and need.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Madeleine Metzler, Director of Admissions|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Campus Ministry, Culinary Club, Culture Club, Dance Club, Dominican Preachers, Drama Club, French Club, Glee Club, Latin Club, Literary Magazine, Liturgical Chorus, Mock Trial Team, Museum Club, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Prom Committee, SADD, Science Club, Shakespeare Club, Spanish Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Women's Empowerment, Yearbook Art Club, Culinary Club, Culture Club, Dance Club, Drama Club, French Club, Glee Club, Latin Club, Museum Club, Newspaper, Prom Committee, SADD, Science Club, Spanish Club, Yearbook, Campus Ministry,
Mock Trial Team,
National Honor Society,
- Accredited by Middle States, the NY State Board of Regents and twice recognized as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the US Dept. of Education
- A spiritually rich atmosphere results from a strong foundation in Christian values and leadership
- Small class size and a student-teacher ratio of 8:1 ensures that each student is personally known
- Academic excellence and dedication to learning foster a culture of achievement
- Students are encouraged to assume positions of leadership, and to participate in service activities
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: 9-12 | 740 students
350 E 56th Street
New York, NY 10022
New YorkGrades: 9-12 | 478 students
151 E 65th St
New York, NY 10065
New YorkGrades: NS-12 | 765 students
1026 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10028
New YorkGrades: 9-12 | 350 students
327 W 13th St
New York, NY 10014
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 681 students
610 East 83rd Street
New York, NY 10028
This is an excellent school. My daughter is being challenged and is benefiting from the great education she is receiving here. She and her fellow students are head and shoulders above her fellow Westchester peers that go to private Westchester Catholic schools. She is articulate and can converse with any adult in an intelligent and respectful manner. The girls have an air of sophistication but are not snobby. I am so impressed with every girl I meet from this school. The sports are getting better. There is now a swim team, cross country/indoor track team (not a club) and a tennis team. My daughter is on the student council, enjoys many clubs and is friends with girls from all over the city and Westchester. She is presently a junior and is prepping for her SATs. She scored very well on her PSATs without any prep. The colleges that are contacting her are top tier colleges such as Cornell, Colgate, Carnegie Mellon, Vassar and Carleton to name a few. DA has a great reputation with colleges because the DA alumni perform so well there because they are so well prepared. This school is worth every penny!!
- Posted by Parent - PM
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?