Jack M Barrack Hebrew Academy
5.00 (8 reviews)
- Founded in 1946 as Akiba Hebrew Academy, the school was renamed Jack M Barrack Hebrew Academy in 2007 and moved to a 35-acre campus and state-of-the art facilities in Bryn Mawr, PA in 2008.
- The oldest, coeducational, independent day school in North America, Barrack welcomes students from every spectrum of Jewish life and provides an outstanding education to students in grades 6-12.
- A dynamic dual curriculum of college preparatory and Jewish studies combines academic excellence with timeless Jewish values, inspiring our students to excel in learning, leading and life.
- Community service and a commitment to social justice are hallmarks of a Barrack education.
- A dedicated faculty motivates students to become critical thinkers and problem solvers, building skills and confidence and empowering them to pursue goals of higher education and positive involvement in the Jewish community and the community at large.
- Barrack graduates are prepared for the world, and our alumni play leading roles in all walks of life at home and around the world.
Jack M Barrack Hebrew Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||380 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 20|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by grade Grade 6 - $23,920 Grade 7 - $24, 150 Grade 8 - $24,380 Grade 9 - $30,840 Grades 10-12 - $31,450|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Groen|
|Admissions Associate||Sari Allen|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field
- In addition to enjoying an excellent education, Barrack students can participate in 16 sports, fielding 31 teams, explore over 50 clubs and extracurricular activities, and give back to the community through vital service and social action programs. A new trimester program expands electives in the performing arts ( instrumental, vocal, dramatic) and in the visual arts.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bryn Mawr Grades: PK-12 | 575 students
701 Montgomery Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
(610)525-2700 0.9 PK-12
The transition as new students entering in 8th and 10th grade has been such a positive experience for my children. The pluralistic culture, academic offerings, sports and welcoming community prove everyday that we made the right choice in choosing Jack Barrack. The kids have been welcoming and my children have never been happier.
- Posted by Parent - stacy
JBHA has been a nurturing and challenging home for our children. The academics are first rate, the opportunities for growth and leadership experience in clubs unparalleled, but more than that JBHA is a community that stresses honor, respect, service, dignity and responsibility for self and each other. It takes Jewish values seriously and encourages students to reflect and challenge. Our son was extremely well-prepares for college and made what are sure to be life-long friends. We have two more children in the school enjoying their teachers, friends, and the challenges of a dual curriculum.
- Posted by Parent - Bev
Barrack has been a life changing school for our daughter. Throughout middle school, she was challenged academically, held accountable when needed, and nurtured by teachers and an administration who really took the time to get to know her and our family. She has made incredible friends we believe she will have for the rest of her life. The 8th grade trip to Israel was an incredible experience for her and she looks forward to spending a trimester in Israel her Junior year. She has been encouraged to try new activities and sports, and has grown and matured tremendously as a person in her time at Barrack. Most importantly, she has learned to advocate for herself academically, and in every interaction with teachers, has been met with respect and encouragement. My daughter truly has become her best self at this school, and we are so grateful for its wonderful influence on her and our family.
- Posted by Parent - Liz
I have had tow children graduate from JBHA and have one who is still there. I am so grateful for the education that the receive at Barrack academically, socially and morally. The faculty and staff at Barrack work hard to make each child into a smart and successful Mensch!
- Posted by Parent - Liz shaid
Barrack Hebrew Academy is an excellent college preparatory school. It offers outstanding secular academics combined with a rigorous Hebrew language and Judaic studies curriculum. My son graduated from Barrack and, along with 30% of his graduating class, went on to college in the Ivy League. When I asked what prepared him best to succeed academically, he said that it was Barrack's Talmud instruction. Although we are not religious, I am proud that he had an opportunity to study Talmud, and that in doing so he acquired life-long skills of analytical, rigorous thought.
- Posted by Parent - Proud Ema
Our daughter has started as an incoming freshman and we couldn't be more thrilled. The school is nurturing and supportive. The kids accepting, kind and thoughtful. Her teachers have been totally accessible and her classes challenging. We know she is gaining the study habits which will allow her to excel in her college years. Barrack has far surpassed our expectations.
- Posted by Parent - Elizabeth Bloom
My children are receiving an incredible education with academic rigor mixed with values and integrity. The teachers are accessible and promote self-advocacy. The college guidance counselors are also so helpful. Thank you Barrack!!
- Posted by Parent - Lisa
My children are so engaged in their learning and with the world. I am so grateful to have this values-based school partnering with me to parent my children.
- Posted by Parent - Shelly
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.