5.00 (3 reviews)
Merit Academy Photo #2 - In regular classes, not all students receive detailed instruction and individualized guidance. Sometimes it seems remarkable that students are prepared for college by the time they get their diploma. At Merit Academy, we don't have this problem, because there is one student per class. Teachers teach directly to that one student, so there's no way to slip through the cracks.
Merit Academy Photo #3 - Touring American Honda and driving the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car (FCX). Working on setting up a partnership between American Honda and Kids 4 Hydrogen.
Merit Academy Photo #4 - TEDxMeritAcademy features fresh ideas from our student body, faculty, and local community. Every Merit student creates a ProjectMERIT and selected students debut their projects at our TEDxMeritAcademy events. By sharing ideas and developing programs to improve and sustain life on earth, we hope to intrigue, inspire, and innovate one another and our audience!What is TEDx?In the spirit of
Merit Academy Photo #5 - After scooping ice cream from an electric ice cream maker that was powered by her sister's hydrogen fuel cell in 4 th grade, Jaclyn became a true environmentalist. Merit's College Advisors coached her as she researched alcohol fuel, hydrogen fuel cells, and solar energy.In 9th grade, Jaclyn founded Kids 4 Hydrogen, a non-profit 501.c.3. She spoke at the American
- At Merit Academy, there is one student per class.
- Teachers teach directly to that one student, so there's no way to slip through the cracks.
- The classes move at a level appropriate for each student. You won't have to wonder whether your child is participating in class discussions or whether the teacher is engaging your child; these concerns are nonexistent at Merit.
- Merit's teachers and director keep close tabs on each student's progress.
- Teachers report directly to Merit's Director about each student's work.
- The director meets with each student once per week to ensure that the student is making good progress, enjoying their classes, and using their time wisely.
- If a student looks like they might fall behind, they are able to receive extra tutoring.
- No one gets lost in the shuffle at Merit.
- At the same time, we employ rigorous standards to fully prepare students to be successful at even the most selective universities.
- Our dedicated teachers, who are experts in their fields, offer exciting lectures and individualized support. Students not only take a full load of accelerated classes, but they also get experience with life outside the classroom-holding internships, working on special projects, and performing community service.
- As students approach college, they receive guidance with the admissions process.
- Although the workload might seem heavy for some students, we offer the support they need to get it done.
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||24 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||ENG 1010-1030 Honors, ENG 1110-1130 Honors, ENG 1210-1230 Honors, ENG 910-930 Honors, HIS 1010-1030 Honors, HIS 1110-1130 Honors, HIS 1210-1230 Honors, HIS 910-930 Honors, LIT 1010-1030 Honors, LIT 1110-1130 Honors, LIT 1210-1230 Honors, LIT 910-930 Honors, MATH 1010-1030 Honors, MATH 1110-1130 Honors, MATH 1210-1230 Honors, MATH 910-930 Honors, SCI 1010-1030 Honors, SCI 1110-1130 Honors, SCI 1210-1230 Honors, SCI 910-930 Honors, SPA 1010-1030 Honors, SPA 1110-1130 Honors, SPA 1210-1230 Honors, SPA 910-930 Honors|
|Average SAT score||1400|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$39,000|
|Tuition Notes||Students can enroll in one to six courses per trimester. $39,000 is based on full enrollment and educational/college advisory.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Susan Tatsui-D'Arcy|
|Admissions Associate||Jaclyn D'Arcy|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Dance, Diving, Gymnastics, Martial Arts, WeightliftingBallet, Dance,|
Martial Arts, Weightlifting,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
History and Literature Classes, Kids 4 Hydrogen, projectMerit, Travel Abroad with English
- Academic requirements for High School Graduation with Honors: 4 years of English Grammar (36 essays and articles per year) 4 years of World Literature (36 books per year) 4 years of Mathematics (including calculus) 4 years of Science (with labs) 4 years of History/Economics/Civics/Psychology/World Religions (3 comprehensive research papers per year) 4 years of Foreign Language 4 years of Contract Physical Education 2 years of Fine Arts or Electives 12 Professional Internships 1 College-prep Project (Minimum 2 years)
- Academic requirements for High School Graduation: 4 years of English Grammar (18 essays and articles per year) 2 years of Literature (18 books per year) 4 years of Mathematics 4 years of Science 3 years of History/Economics/Civics (2 research papers per year) 4 years of Foreign Language 4 years of Contract Physical Education 2 years of Fine Arts or Electives 3 Professional Internships 1 Community Service Project (Minimum 1 month)
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Gatos Grades: 6-12
50 University Ave., Suite A300
Los Gatos, CA 95030
(408)354-0743 14.2 6-12
- Santa Clara Grades: K-12 | 96 students
220 Blake Ave # B
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408)247-4740 23.2 K-12
- Campbell Grades: PK-12 | 28 students
1 W Campbell Ave (J70)
Campbell, CA 95008
(408)898-8627 18.7 PK-12
- Los Altos Grades: K-12 | 595 students
327 Fremont Ave
Los Altos, CA 94024
(650)209-3050 25.2 K-12
Merit Academy came to our rescue! Our son was failing high school math , we did not know what to do. We found Merit and with the help of Kimberly my son's teacher he turned his grade into a B plus. We are forever grateful and my son is thriving. Can't say enough about the personalized attention my son has received.
- Posted by Parent - 4reva
Before we decided to attend Merit Academy my daughter was overwhelmed with pressure and hours of homework. My child is now thriving and extremely happy. I am grateful for the flexibility and nurturing of the wonderful and professional staff at Merit Academy.
- Posted by Parent - polly
Merit Academy is a truly unique school. I attended Merit Academy for all of my pre-college education. The one-on-one class environment allowed me to customize my curriculum to meet my development needs. There are theater opportunities and dance training integration programs that facilitated my dual passion for academics and competitive dancing. Susan offers customized college advisory programs to support every student at Merit Academy. Because of Merit Academy and the guidance and direction from Susan, I was accepted into one of the top colleges in America and landed a job at a major electronics company after college that supports and furthers my career ambitions. I attribute all of my academic and artistic/athletic success to Merit Academy.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jtdar
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.