- Open Door Christian Academy was established in 1975 and it espouses the historic Christian view of life as presented in the Bible.
- The goal of our education process is the Godly development of the student both Spiritually, Intellectually, Emotionally, Socially and Physically.
- Open Door Christian Academy is an educational ministry to children operating as an extension of the Christian home to prepare students spiritually and academically to live the Christian life in our contemporary society.
- The function of the School Board is to establish the basic policies within which the principal, Mrs. Meg McHale, is to administer the school.
- It consists of members from the school and church along with members of the elder board of Church of the Open Door.
- They function as a legislative resource, a spiritual guidepost, a sounding board, and a tool for making recommendations in support of the overall ministry and approval of Church of the Open Door as it pertains to the school. The proper participants in a Christian education include the parent, teacher, church and pupil.
- The first line of Christian education is not the school teacher.
- Deuteronomy 6 points out that it is the home. Christian parents have the obligation to live, talk and teach the "Fear of the Lord" in the home.
- Furthermore, God holds them responsible for the education their children receive. They must therefore be vitally involved in their childrens' learning processes.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||145 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Specific colors/styles allowed - dress color vs an acutal pre-purchased uniform.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,500|
|Tuition Notes||see our website for tuition rates as they vary by grade level.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Meg McHale-Principal|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Thomas|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||ACSI Fine Arts Competion, ACSI Math Olympics, ACSI Speech Meet, Chess Club, Drama, Piano Lessons, Violin Chess Club, Drama, Piano Lessons, Violin, ACSI Fine Arts Competion,
ACSI Math Olympics,
ACSI Speech Meet,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Fort WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 1109 students
340 Morris Rd
Fort Washington, PA 19034
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-8 | 100 students
220 W Upsal St
Philadelphia, PA 19119
GlensideGrades: PK-8 | 202 students
835 North Hills Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038
LansdaleGrades: PK-12 | 389 students
1380 S Valley Forge Rd
Lansdale, PA 19446
Of my three children, my youngest is in 6th grade at Open Door Christian Academy. My two older children graduated from ODCA and are currently in honors programs. I feel this is due to the strong academic curriculum they experienced during their formative years. I valued the Christ-centered education they received. I sent my children to ODCA because the school offered a variety of programs including sports, music, drama and clubs which covered all of my children's interests. Lastly, I enjoy the "family feel" the school offers and the safe environment it provides.
- Posted by Parent - Linda
My son has been at ODCA for 2 years now. He absolutely loves everything about it and has learned so much from his teacher. He loves getting music and especially loves going to Chapel and learning about the Bible. I love seeing the smile he has on his face when he tells me all he has learned each day. Open Door has been a great experience for my son. I am excited they are offering a 2 year old program next year so my younger son will be able to experience this amazing school.
- Posted by Parent - r_par
We have two children at ODCA and whole-heartedly recommend ODCA to any parents seeking a Christ-centered education for their children. We have found the curriculum comprehensive and the teachers well-suited to the challenge of making it understandable to the children. The ODCA staff genuinely care about their students.
- Posted by Parent - kamad
Our family is so thankful for ODCA. Our daughter has grown in wisdom and knowledge of the Lord while she has been attending. Additionally, she loves her classes (we've been here since 3rd grade and she's now in 6th), and her teachers are truly invested in her as a person with an eternal soul. This school is the best kept secret in Christian education, but I hope it doesn't stay that way.
- Posted by Parent - susan
We love this school! I have my three children there! My oldest is in 6th grade and started at ODCA when he was 3yrs old! It like a second family to us! We rest secured in knowing our kids are getting a great foundation both spiritually and academically! It has been worth every penny! I strongly encourage you to make the sacrifice for Christian education!
- Posted by Parent - Lisag
My two children have attended from 3yrs old up through eighth grade. I could not be happier with my decision to send them here. The teachers are intimately involved with each child, drawing out children who may be overlooked in larger classes. The academic standard is high (92 is a B, not an A) and living out what the Bible preaches is expected (no bullying, lying, etc.) Of course no school is perfect, but I wholeheartedly recommend ODCA. They may not have all of the amenities that a public school has, but what they lack in "stuff" and programs, they make up for in heart. It truly is a loving, family feel at Open Door.
- Posted by Parent - aeboy
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.