Rippowam Cisqua School
5.00 (8 reviews)
Tel: (914) 244-1296
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #2 - The new 2,460 square-foot Innovation Center gives students a space to explore their ideas, manipulate real-world materials, and test new technology. Through interdisciplinary projects, students use the space to discover and explore the curriculum through a hands-on approach.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #3 - Traditions matter at Rippowam Cisqua School. As an institution with a 100-year history, our traditions are an important part of the life and legacy of our school. Our traditions foster leadership, sportsmanship, creativity, and camaraderie and remind students that they are part of something larger than themselves. in 2017, the RCS Owl returned as a symbol of our rich history.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #4 - Every day, our expert Early Childhood educators guide students through engaging lessons and hands-on activities that promote joyful learning and exploration. Our emphasis on both academic and social curricula ensures developmentally appropriate experiences that are crucial in these early years for acquiring skills, sparking creativity, and building the foundation for a lifelong love of learning.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #5 - Our dedicated Upper Campus faculty are middle school experts, and our program and facilities are tailored to inspire students to reach their full capacity as learners and as individuals. Our program values original thought and exploration and seeks to achieve balance between freedom and structure, innovation and tradition.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #6 - With a 6:1 student-to-teacher ratio, learning is our top priority. Our interest is a child's intellectual development and personal growth. From coding a Bee-Bot to writing a personal narrative to learning to play hard for the sake of your team, RCS students have the care and support of a dynamite faculty challenging them to be their best.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #7 - Starting in PreK, our Physical Education program is designed to promote self-confidence and build awareness of body, movement, and health. Interscholastic athletics begin in fifth grade with an emphasis on participation and our competitive varsity teams offer students in Grades 7 through 9 the opportunity to be challenged as athletes so they can take their skills to the next level.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #8 - Students in Grades 1 through 4 explore the process of experimentation, enhance their critical thinking skills, delve deeper into language and mathematics, bring history to life, create with technology, and further expand their minds. Our teachers inspire passion and ignite curiosity.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #9 - Active learning is at the heart of everything we do on the RCS Lower Campus. You can hear it in the sounds of children collaborating on group projects, engaging in meaningful class discussions, discovering possibilities in our Imagination Space, and speaking during assemblies and performances.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo #10 - Our students are evaluated alongside a remarkably talented pool of applicants from NY, NJ, and Connecticut for independent day schools, and alongside an equally impressive global pool for boarding schools. Sample schools include Berkshire, Brunswick, Choate, Deerfield, Hackley, Masters, Miss Porter's, Suffield and Rye Country Day.
- RCS is a coed, independent country day school offering an immersive and experiential curriculum with small interactive classes and a dynamic program of academics, arts, and athletics that ignites learning in students.
- Our focus is on critical thinking, communication, leadership, personal excellence, and individual development.
- Teacher-student interaction is at the heart of the RCS educational program and is facilitated by a 6:1 student-teacher ratio.
- Since 1917, RCS has provided an unparalleled educational experience for children in Grades PreK through Nine.
- Our faculty encourages our students to believe in themselves, think independently, and explore their talents to the fullest, thus fostering a lifelong love of learning. Recent RCS graduates have gone on to enroll at some of the finest secondary schools-- Andover, Brunswick, Choate, Exeter, Greenwich Academy, Hackley, and Rye Country Day; college and university matriculations include Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford.
- RCS' new facilities include a 2,460 square-foot Library and Media Center, a 2,400 square-foot Innovation Center, two full-floor visual arts studios, amphitheater, and performance spaces.
- Rippowam Cisqua School: Nurturing Creativity in Young Learners - 09/05/2019 - If you've ever watched a baby squish their food all over their high chair, you already know that young children are naturally creative. But did you know that creativity is ...morethe most in-demand skill among prospective employers in 2019? hide
- Looking Forward: Rippowam Cisqua celebrates 100 years of Community - 09/15/2017 - Learn how Rippowam Cisqua School' uses community to balance the social-emotional and academic needs of tweens and early teens. By focusing on the internal and external community, RCS has ...morecreated a space where middle school students can feel safe to learn and grow while facing the challenges of early adolescence. hide
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Total Students||443 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||76 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(collared shirt, khaki pants, jumper or kilt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies based on grade level.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Hallock|
|Admissions Associate||Lori Adelsberg|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Flag Football, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Homework Club, Robotics Team, Spanish Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Clay Club, Concert Band, Jazz Band, Performing Arts, String Ensemble, Visual Arts, Winds Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ice Hockey, Ice Skating, Runners Club
- Rippowam Cisqua School ignites learning in PreKindergarten through Grade 9 students, so they believe in their infinite abilities, lead with the skills to bring their ideas to life, and enter the world knowing their futures are limitless.
- With an immersive curriculum that specializes in the magic of these wonder years, a teaching philosophy based on strong teacher/student bonds, and an engaging program resolute in creating a growth mindset, RCS students develop the social, emotional and intellectual skills young minds need to embrace new challenges and ideas, confidently problem-solve, and make smart choices to chart their own path.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Rochelle Grades: NS-12 | 153 students
100 Overlook Cir
New Rochelle, NY 10804
(914) 632-8836 20.7 NS-12
We have been very proud members of the RCS community since 2015. Our daughter will begin the 3rd Grade and our son Kindergarten in the Fall. We really value the academic curriculum and small class sizes and teachers who love and are good at what they do. RCS also provides a very balanced education based on a biological model that correlates very well with a child`s development. They also create a warm and nurturing environment that promotes critical thinking and independence but also a sense of belonging to a larger and diverse world. We highly recommend this school. You will not regret your decision!
- Posted by Parent - Aaron M
RCS has been a wonderful experience for my 3 children. From kindergarten through the middle school our experience has been nothing short of fantastic. The faculty in the elementary school teaches with enthusiasm and cultivate a sense of wonder and joy of learning that stays with the children throughout their time at RCS. The middle school increases academic rigor but in a cross-disciplinary way, they allow children to experience education rather than memorizing facts and figures. The faculty's guidance and preparation of the children for high school make the transition seamless.
- Posted by Parent - Richard M.
My children have thrived at Rippowam Cisqua School. The class sizes are small and the teachers are the best of the best. The RCS community is supportive in every way. My children are known and supported by teachers, administrators, friends, and parents. The academics are rigorous and at the same time innovation is at the heart of the education.
- Posted by Parent - Gerry
The search for the right school for my daughter ended the moment I stepped foot into Rippowam Cisqua. This school has become our home away from home. It is a place where my daughter has grown and so have I. And, it is a place where every staff member makes you feel like your child is their favorite. I could not imagine this incredible journey anywhere else.
- Posted by Parent - R. Fargnoli
Rippowam is community of educators and students who care! A challenging, relevant curriculum engages students in real world conversations and challenges. We have experienced every grade, 5-9 and could not be more impressed with the outcome for each of our (very different!) children. They are challenged, encouraged to take intellectual risks, think critically and analytically and step up to take on leadership roles. All along the way, they are supported and feel known as individuals. Their teachers know their strengths, know when to push them further and know when to adjust to their specific needs in the moment. Ripp empowers its students with confidence, empathy and critical analytical and communication skills (they become powerful writers and speakers). They are learn real leadership skills and leave poised to succeed in high school.
- Posted by Parent - KMac
Ripp is an incredible school. The kids are well adjusted, confident communicators and natural leaders. There is a focus on character, innovation and leadership throughout the school. Teachers are invested and know your children. Academics is stressed from an early age, but in the lower grades its play based and the kids don't realize how much they are enjoying learning. By First grade all three of my kids become strong readers. STEM is stressed throughout the school. In the Upper Campus, the math program is especially strong. Kids graduate and are in high demand at their next school, and well prepared for wherever they go. I feel very lucky to send my kids to RCS.
- Posted by Parent - Momof3
I cannot begin to describe the wonderful joy that Ripp has brought into my family's life for the last 15 years. With two children who went all the way through the program from 3 years old to when they began high school, and with a 10 year old bringing up the rear there now, Ripp is our rock. The confidence and independence that this unusually strong school community provides is something two of my kids have take with them to college. This is the best foundation you can give your children. This school puts out a unique product: poised, polite, eager learners, solid public speakers, ready for anything. It's an incredible journey. Thank you, Ripp!
- Posted by Parent - Sonja
My son's preschool teacher recommended Rippowam Cisqua School because she thought a more personalized approach would provide more benefit for him than a larger, public school system. She was right! Every teacher got to know who he was as a learner but also as an individual, which helped with his confidence and academic growth. He experimented with different sports and found his strengths. He also experimented with different art programs and found his weaknesses. When it was time to search for a high school, he was perfectly capable of evaluating his choices and choosing the school he thought best matched his personality and learning style. After he graduated, he easily adapted to his new high school and was able to step into the academics (some of which he had already done at Ripp), manage the workload, excel in the sports he mastered at Ripp, and find his niche in the arts. And because of Ripp he is very comfortable expressing his ideas and advocating for himself with teachers and fellow students. I'm so glad he spent his elementary and middle school years at Ripp and thankful to the teacher that put it on our radar.
- Posted by Parent - Karen M.
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.