The Blake School
Tel: (952) 988-3420
The Blake School Photo #2 - The Lower School combines academic rigor with a nurturing, homelike and supportive environment.
The Blake School Photo #3 - Fourth and fifth grade plays are a favorite theater activity for student.
The Blake School Photo #4 - Blake's traditional Lower School core subject areas include English language arts, mathematics, social studies and science, engineering and programming, Spanish language instruction, physical education and visual arts, theater and music.
The Blake School Photo #5 - String instruction is available to all Blake Lower School PK-5 students.
The Blake School Photo #6 - Blake's Highcroft campus in Wayzata features an onsite outdoor ice rink that is available for student use during physical education and recess.
The Blake School Photo #7 - Lower School instruction incorporates numerous collaborative projects and emphasizes the shared values of citizenship, respect for others, empathy and working together to solve problems.
- Founded in 1900, The Blake School is an independent, coeducational day school (Pre-K-12) with campuses in Minneapolis, Hopkins and Wayzata.
- Blake provides a strong liberal arts education with a challenging curriculum that integrates academics, arts and athletics.
- 1,360 students attend Blake, coming from more than 59 Twin Cities' communities.
- Tuition: $18,135 - $32,895 Financial Aid: $7.8 million in need-based assistance is awarded annually to approximately 23 percent of the student body.
The Blake School places among the top 20% of private schools in Minnesota for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Program costs vary by camp, class and program.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||1,366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||137 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Chemistry (two courses), Chinese and French, Economics, English Literature, European History, Latin: Vergil and Caesar, Physics (three courses), Spanish, Statistics, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1395|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by grade. Blake annually awards more than 7.8 million in need-based financial assistance to approximately 23 percent of the student body. See website for tuition rates.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joe Silvestri|
|Admissions Associate||Beth Pliego|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Nordic Skiing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Lego, Math, Robotics, Science and Engineering
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery, Basketball, Swimming
- Now in its second century, Blake offers a rigorous education grounded in shared values - respect, love of learning, integrity, courage and a commitment to pluralism. Its three campuses in Hopkins, Minneapolis and Wayzata unite approximately 1,360 students served by 350 faculty and staff, creating a diverse and inclusive community.
- Students become lifelong learners who make lasting contributions to the world. They develop the habits of the mind that enable them to think critically, solve problems, empathize, create and make our world better.
- Blake helps students become thoughtful, well-rounded adults by providing a multifaceted education that includes excellent academics, comprehensive arts, outstanding athletics, diverse co-curriculars, immersive global programs and active community engagement.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wayzata Grades: NS-6 | 373 students
155 County Road 24
Wayzata, MN 55391
(763) 473-3675 3 NS-6
- Hopkins Grades: PK-12 | 1366 students
110 Blake Road S
Hopkins, MN 55343
(952) 988-3420 7.8 PK-12
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-12 | 1164 students
123 Ottawa Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55422
(763) 381-8217 9.3 PK-12
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-8 | 246 students
2344 Nicollet Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404
(612) 767-1550 12.4 PK-8
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.