The Primary Day School
The school's rich and varied curriculum cultivates a love of learning and a strong personal and academic foundation in every child.
Assemblies and class performances augment the strong arts program and develop poise and confidence in public speaking.
- Top Ranked MD School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-2
- Students: 142 students
- Yearly Tuition: $24,900
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 17 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 37%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 15 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition for the 2021-2022 School Year is between $26,500-$30,000
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
Cindy van den Beemt
- The Primary Day School in Bethesda, Maryland, is a school for boys and girls from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 2. We are the only school in the area that focuses exclusively on children in this unique age group, and we do so for a very important reason.These are the most crucial learning years in children`s lives, a time when they are bursting with potential, ready for quantum leapsof development. At Primary Day, everything we do focuses on helping young children flourish-as learners and as people-during this vitally important time of life.
Profile last updated: 07/20/2021
Our sons attended PDS more than 25 years ago. One graduated Cornell Summa Cum Laude, with a degree in English Literature and went on to obtain an MBA from Harvard. My other son graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, also Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Russian Literature. Moreover, he speaks eight languages. I am certain their academic success was due in large part to the love, attention and exceedingly strong academic program they received at PDS. Twenty-five years later, my wife and I still look back fondly on the school. It is truly a remarkable place and one of a kind.
You should consider Primary Day if you want to ensure your child has an excellent foundation for reading and math. All students have Spanish, French, and Chinese, along with STEM, music, art, PE, and recess twice a day. There are many opportunities for learning outdoors and a school garden that the students participate in maintaining. The school knows how to make learning joyful, fun, and hands-on. Regular movement is incorporated throughout the day. Teachers work with your child at their individual level and provide differentiation as needed. Class sizes range between 12-18 and there are 2 lead teachers for both Pre-K and Kindergarten. The HOS knows every child and family by name. The environment is warm and nurturing as social-emotional learning is incorporated into daily classroom activities. We are thrilled with how much our child loves going to school.
Endorse The Primary Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.