5.00 (4 reviews)
- Wyncote Academy is a non-profit, non-sectarian private high school located on a five-acre suburban campus in Eastern Montgomery County, PA. We seek to provide an educational and developmental environment which fosters discovery, achievement, responsibility and self-esteem in all students.
- We are a place where students are encouraged to grow at a pace in keeping with their cognitive development, academic history and personal learning style.
- Our purpose is not to make students learn, but to inspire them to learn according to their unique abilities.
- Wyncote Academy students are part of an experiential community, dedicated to mutual academic and social growth.
- It is this unique approach to learning that has earned us the distinction of being one of the best private schools in Philadelphia.
- Learning in our school community comes about through the close relationship between students and staff.
- Teachers are friends and helpers, as well as givers of facts.
- Sometimes, students may need an extra boost to do their best.
- We provide that encouragement and support through realistic homework expectations, after-school study time, multiple methods of evaluation, weekly reports and parent conferences.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
Delaware Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Disabilities, Anxiety Disorders, High Functioning Asperger Disorder|
|Total Students||88 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,000|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid and merit based scholarships are available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Diane Vernon|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||and Tilemaking, Mosaics, Outdoor Education Program, Visual Arts Program - Ceramics|
Club or Organization:
Anime Club, Chess
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PhiladelphiaGrades: 9-12 | 680 students
7320 Torresdale Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19136
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 189 students
6707 Old York Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19126
- AbingtonGrades: 1-8 | 90 students
2450 Hamilton Avenue
Abington, PA 19001
- PhiladelphiaGrades: K-12 | 906 students
31 West Coulter Street
Philadelphia, PA 19144
- GlensideGrades: K-12 | 257 students
35 Hillcrest Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038
I love Wyncote Academy. My son was having difficulty in the philadelphia public school due to the over crowded classrooms. He wear hearing aids in both ears so that was a problem. Now that he is at Wyncote with smaller classes he is doing great.
- Posted by Parent - Lisa Parks
Wyncote Academy continues to be a blessing to our family. My son started his academic career in the public school system. We knew that he had difficulty reading. Initially, a private evaluation stated that his difficulties probably were due to being an English as Second Language student. Numerous IEPs proved to be unsuccessful. I made my son a promise that I'd find the key that would unlock the door to the way he learned. My son wss diagnosed as having severe dyslexia. I was able to keep my promise to my son by enrolling him in Wyncote Academy. Wyncote Academy has an excellent Wilson reading program. The Head of School as well as all of the teachers are dedicated to the students and are excellent representatives of their profession.
- Posted by Parent - S.H.
Looking for a good school for my daughter because she is acting out and needs discipline
- Posted by Parent - Tania
This is one of the most amazing schools I have ever gone to. It has completely changed me. I have always loved school but I hated the bullying that constantly happened. This school will really help you become a better person. I am currently a senior and have been too 4 schools my entire high school year and this is the best one by far. I have nothing but good things to say about this school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Willi
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.