- Creating Scholars and Leaders with Heart Founded in 1926, Clairbourn School is an independent, coeducational day school for students in preschool through eighth grade.
- At all grade levels, small classes are designed to motivate, engage, and support students to reach high levels of achievement.
- Learning is active, and teaching is a dynamic blend of both traditional and innovative methods.
- At Clairbourn, we believe in the ability of every student to achieve balanced and competitive academic success.
- We strive to impart in our students not only the mastery of academic content, but also the development of intellectual habits and leadership skills, and a strong social and cultural competency.
- Our students acquire essential 21st-century skills and intellectual habits of mind that lead to success in school and in life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||223 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Lands' End Uniforms)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 2 / Sep. 1|
|Tuition Notes||Link to Tuition Figures: https://www.clairbourn.org/admissions/tuition-and-assistance|
|Admissions Director||Karen Paciorek|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Sports, Animal Encounters, Bricks 4 Kidz, C.A.S.T. Clairbourn Thespians Drama Club, Early Childhood Grades Dance Class, Edu Chess, Homework Help, Kung Fu, Lango, Let's Read, Let's Rock|
- That every student has the innate ability to experience academic success.
- That the best education is one that assists the student in developing effective study habits, including active listening, critical thinking, disciplined effort, and collaboration skills.
- That fostering the development of social, ethical, creative, communication, and physical skills is an essential part of a well-rounded education.
- That the education of children is an active partnership between the school and the family.
- That offering students varied leadership opportunities develops the skills necessary to contribute in a meaningful way to their community.
- That the gift of access to a quality education carries with it certain moral obligations for service to others and the broader community.
- That the cultivation of a student`s spiritual and emotional health builds a foundation for strength, courage, grit, humility, gratitude, and integrity.
- That belonging to a strong community that practices compassion and inclusion helps children to develop heart, a positive moral character, and a strong sense of self-worth.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pasadena Grades: K-12 | 858 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626)396-6300 2.5 K-12
- Arcadia Grades: K-5 | 128 students
1307 E. Longden Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
(626)442-7737 4.3 K-5
- Pasadena Grades: K-8 | 347 students
1720 Kinneloa Canyon Rd
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626)798-8989 3.2 K-8
Clairbourn is an amazing school and is every parent and child's treasure! Located in San Gabriel with a beautiful campus, Clairbourn offers a solid foundation, academically, socially and progressively all at the same time. I am an alumna and because Clairbourn has made such a significant positive impact on me, I knew I would only want my children to come to Clairbourn. One strong element that sets Clairbourn apart from other schools is that they position themselves to play a major role in the overall personality and character building of their students. I have observed at Clairbourn that social and emotional learning is emphasized as much as academic learning. I've witnessed my girls learning about values such as fairness, respect, and honesty as part of everyday lessons in and out of the classroom. Even more, they have trained my girls to pick up wonderful work ethics that I am most grateful because it is a habit that is not easy to acquire but Clairbourn does it so effortlessly. As evidenced Clairbourn has earned a great reputation and they have prepared their children academically very well by placing graduating students in the top high schools every year. I can not say enough good things about Clairbourn and what they have given to my girls and myself....a treasure!
- Posted by Parent - lhuang
Clairbourn, Clairbourn, Clairbourn School....boy, oh boy, what more can I say about this great school nestled on the San Marino/San Gabriel border. This place is wonderfully located on Huntington Drive so it`s convenient to get to wherever you live!This school is very family oriented and a true parent`s dream come true. I love the fact they allow parents on campus because they are all about parent involvement and interaction with their own children. There is Chapel every morning where kids start their day with their parents! That`s the way it should be! When the kids see their parents on campus and how invested their parents are in their school, a light turns on in their head. In fact, they take pride and become more invested in their own education. Everyone wins! The moment I stepped on campus, I knew I wanted my children to be here! White picket fences, just a drop dead beautiful campus!Not to mention, smiling happy children and a well balanced life...let's face it, any kid can study hard and get straight A's but it's the well balanced education and life experiences that truly makes them ideal leaders of their industry!. When my kids came to visit the school, they felt the same way I did!I`m glad to be here and that`s why we`re staying! Look for me when you visit! See you here!
- Posted by Parent - mking0714
Clairbourn is an excellent learning environment that encourages students to be their best, supports parent involvement, and has a solid foundation in strong, universal values and ethics. It has a beautiful campus, with administrators, teachers, and staff who care and know each and every student. Students earn admission to the best high schools, and are recognized as compassionate, well-rounded, and respectful.
- Posted by Parent - Kris
My kids have been going to Clairbourn for the last 10 years (graduating in 2017) and I have to say choosing Clairbourn was one of the best decisions we've ever made.This is exactly what you will experience:Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. Your child will learn a lot through play. You will hear a lot of chatter about "Clairbourn is not academic enough, blah blah blah" - some parents will transfer their kids to different, more "academic" schools.When kids reach 4th and 5th grade, the homework load starts to increase, but they increase at a moderate and manageable amount.When kids reach middle school, they are probably spending 30 minutes to 1.5 hours on homework.I believe this year's graduating class has about 38 kids and 12 or 13 of them are going to Flintridge Prep, and every single child got into great school (Poly, Flintridge, Westridge, Webb, St Francis, La Salle, Maranatha, etc.).Here's what Clairbourn is:- a loving community where parents are encouraged to participate in the growth of their child (parents get to choose to participate as much or as little as they like; no pressure)- A school that makes a strong effort to build character, integrity, and honesty. You will not meet a child who doesn't have a strong moral compass from Clairbourn- A Christian Science School, but you will not feel any awkwardness if your family is not religious. They teach good values.- They prepare the kids well IF you stick with the program. They have their own ways, and you should either buy into it, or go somewhere else. Here's what Clairbourn is not:- "Level up teaching" - meaning, they don't take 3rd-grade material and teach them to 2nd graders. Lots of schools do that and parents would say "gee, my friend's child is doing this, and you're only doing that?" - this is silly. Can you teach a 3-year-old the alphabets? Sure, it might take 6 months - but why force that at 3 when you can spend 2 months and teach them when they're 4? The school knows what they're doing, and parents need to leave teaching to the kids - Clairbourn is a small, private school and is not built for 1-on-1 special-ed teaching. If a child has special needs, he or she may be better served at a specialty or public school system where they have a lot more resourcesLastly, I'd like to leave a note for future parents -> Talk to kids from the schools you're considering and see if they are the young adults you'd like to see your kids grow up to be.Good luck.
- Posted by Parent - Current Parent
Clairbourn is an amazingly supportive learning environment with excellent balance between academics, sports and social activities. Students graduating from Clairbourn are some of the most well rounded and academically strong students you will find in the greater LA area.
- Posted by Parent - Steve Walker
Clairbourn has strong academics and sends students along to top area high schools. Most importantly, the community at Clairbourn is wonderful! The kids feel supported, the parents feel included, and it is a very special place to come every day.
- Posted by Administrator - nward