- Clairbourn mission is "Creating Scholars and Leaders with Heart."
- We are an excellent accredited, private day school for boys and girls serving students in the preschool, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school grades (JPK-8th).
- We seek students who acknowledge the value and responsibilities of a private school education.
- We believe that the joy of learning is enhanced and enriched through the use of variety, creativity, and self expression in developing essential physical, mental and social skills.
- Students are accepted on the basis of their previous academic performance, placement test scores, writing samples, references, and, in the case of Preschool through Kindergarten, their maturity and school readiness.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||306 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniforms supplied by Lands)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 2 / Sep. 1|
|Tuition Notes||Link to Tuition Figures: https://www.clairbourn.org/page/admissions/tuition-and-assistance|
|Admissions Director||Janna Hawes|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Sports, Animal Encounters, Bricks 4 Kidz, C.A.S.T. Clairbourn Thespians Drama Club, Early Childhood Grades Dance Class, Edu Chess, Homework Help, Kung Fu, Lango, Let's Read, Let's Rock|
- Founded in 1926, Clairbourn School is an independent, coeducational day school for students in preschool through eighth grade. The Clairbourn model of education includes a rigorous curriculum, inspired teaching, character education, and a strong sense of community.
- Our students acquire essential 21st-century skills and intellectual habits of mind that lead to success in school and in life. At all grade levels, small classes are designed to motivate, engage, and support students to reach high levels of achievement. Learning is active, and teaching is a dynamic blend of both traditional and innovative methods.
- Clairbourn's mission is "Creating Scholars and Leaders with Heart."
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pasadena Grades: K-12 | 858 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626)396-6300 2.5 K-12
- Arcadia Grades: K-5 | 128 students
1307 E. Longden Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
(626)442-7737 4.3 K-5
- Pasadena Grades: NS-8 | 347 students
1720 Kinneloa Canyon Rd
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626)798-8989 3.2 NS-8
Clairbourn, Clairbourn, Clairbourn School....boy, oh boy, what more can I say about this great school nestled on the San Marino/San Gabriel border. This place is wonderfully located on Huntington Drive so it`s convenient to get to wherever you live!This school is very family oriented and a true parent`s dream come true. I love the fact they allow parents on campus because they are all about parent involvement and interaction with their own children. There is Chapel every morning where kids start their day with their parents! That`s the way it should be! When the kids see their parents on campus and how invested their parents are in their school, a light turns on in their head. In fact, they take pride and become more invested in their own education. Everyone wins! The moment I stepped on campus, I knew I wanted my children to be here! White picket fences, just a drop dead beautiful campus!Not to mention, smiling happy children and a well balanced life...let's face it, any kid can study hard and get straight A's but it's the well balanced education and life experiences that truly makes them ideal leaders of their industry!. When my kids came to visit the school, they felt the same way I did!I`m glad to be here and that`s why we`re staying! Look for me when you visit! See you here!
- Posted by Parent - mking0714
Clairbourn is an excellent learning environment that encourages students to be their best, supports parent involvement, and has a solid foundation in strong, universal values and ethics. It has a beautiful campus, with administrators, teachers, and staff who care and know each and every student. Students earn admission to the best high schools, and are recognized as compassionate, well-rounded, and respectful.
- Posted by Parent - Kris
My kids have been going to Clairbourn for the last 10 years (graduating in 2017) and I have to say choosing Clairbourn was one of the best decisions we've ever made.This is exactly what you will experience:Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. Your child will learn a lot through play. You will hear a lot of chatter about "Clairbourn is not academic enough, blah blah blah" - some parents will transfer their kids to different, more "academic" schools.When kids reach 4th and 5th grade, the homework load starts to increase, but they increase at a moderate and manageable amount.When kids reach middle school, they are probably spending 30 minutes to 1.5 hours on homework.I believe this year's graduating class has about 38 kids and 12 or 13 of them are going to Flintridge Prep, and every single child got into great school (Poly, Flintridge, Westridge, Webb, St Francis, La Salle, Maranatha, etc.).Here's what Clairbourn is:- a loving community where parents are encouraged to participate in the growth of their child (parents get to choose to participate as much or as little as they like; no pressure)- A school that makes a strong effort to build character, integrity, and honesty. You will not meet a child who doesn't have a strong moral compass from Clairbourn- A Christian Science School, but you will not feel any awkwardness if your family is not religious. They teach good values.- They prepare the kids well IF you stick with the program. They have their own ways, and you should either buy into it, or go somewhere else. Here's what Clairbourn is not:- "Level up teaching" - meaning, they don't take 3rd-grade material and teach them to 2nd graders. Lots of schools do that and parents would say "gee, my friend's child is doing this, and you're only doing that?" - this is silly. Can you teach a 3-year-old the alphabets? Sure, it might take 6 months - but why force that at 3 when you can spend 2 months and teach them when they're 4? The school knows what they're doing, and parents need to leave teaching to the kids - Clairbourn is a small, private school and is not built for 1-on-1 special-ed teaching. If a child has special needs, he or she may be better served at a specialty or public school system where they have a lot more resourcesLastly, I'd like to leave a note for future parents -> Talk to kids from the schools you're considering and see if they are the young adults you'd like to see your kids grow up to be.Good luck.
- Posted by Parent - Current Parent
Clairbourn is an amazingly supportive learning environment with excellent balance between academics, sports and social activities. Students graduating from Clairbourn are some of the most well rounded and academically strong students you will find in the greater LA area.
- Posted by Parent - Steve Walker
Clairbourn has strong academics and sends students along to top area high schools. Most importantly, the community at Clairbourn is wonderful! The kids feel supported, the parents feel included, and it is a very special place to come every day.
- Posted by Administrator - nward