Oak Valley Center
- Oak Valley Center is a structured therapeutic day school with positive behavior intervention supports, and a low teacher-to-student ratio.
- Oak Valley Center is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF), and licensed to operate by the Virginia Board of Education as a Private Day School for students with disabilities. Oak Valley Center serves students ages 7-22, who are eligible to receive special education services under the classifications of Learning Disabilities (LD), Emotional Disabilities (ED), Other Health Impairment (OHI), Multiple Disabilities (MD), and students with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All|
|Total Students||75 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
National avg.: 85%
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Choir, Dance, Peer-to-Peer Mentoring, Student Government|
- Oak Valley Center staff include highly qualified licensed special education teachers, trained instructional assistants, licensed behavior specialists, and licensed clinical therapists. Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy services are provided in accordance with the student's Individualized Education Program. Oak Valley Center's primary focus is on student academic achievement and personal growth through a rigorous program that strengthens each student's self-concept and develops pro-social skills. Our goal is to help every student become a more confident learner and make a successful transition back to their least restrictive environment. Oak Valley Center's educational and counseling staff in partnership with the student (where appropriate) and their family, work with their Local Education Agency (LEA) and community professionals, in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 to develop an Individualized Education Program designed to meet their academic, social/emotional and behavioral needs. Oak Valley Center's Behavior Management Program is a positive reinforcement program that encourages students to take responsibility and ownership of their actions, as they grow towards becoming self-sufficient and productive individuals. Oak Valley Center's experienced licensed clinical therapists work with the student and their family to assist with crisis intervention, problem solving, collaboration and to provide reports on student progress. Oak Valley Center presents a social skills curriculum in a group setting, introducing values such as honesty, conflict resolution, communication skills, problem solving, self-care, self-reliance, self-discipline and dependability. Oak Valley Center's comprehensive academic instruction is designed to meet the expectations of the Virginia Standards of Learning and Common Core Standards. Work readiness skills are taught in our Post-Graduation Skills class. Students graduating from Oak Valley Center receive a high school diploma issued by their LEA. Virginia students can earn an Advanced Studies Diploma, Standard Diploma or a Modified Standard Diploma (Modified option is only available to students who entered the 9th grade for the first time before or during school year 2012-2013.) Extended School Year services are available by IEP approval. Students attend school from 7:55 a.m. - 2:35 p.m., Monday through Friday. For students referred by their LEA, tuition and transportation costs are paid by the Comprehensive Services Act for At-Risk Youth and Families.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- SpringfieldGrades: 1-12 | 125 students
8519 Tuttle Rd
Springfield, VA 22152
- AnnandaleGrades: K-8 | 100 students
7210 Braddock Road
Annandale, VA 22003
- ChantillyGrades: 4-12 | 24 students
14102 Sullyfield Circle Suite 350
Chantilly, VA 20151
- FairfaxGrades: 3-12 | 33 students
11204 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Silver SpringGrades: K-8 | 50 students
9545 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.