Riverdale Country School
Riverdale Country School Photo #2 - Frank S. Hackett Hall, home of the Middle School and well as the Middle & Upper School library, math center, writing center, and computer lab.
Riverdale Country School Photo #9 - Students can do homework or study in the library, which also houses writing and math centers where they can get extra help from a variety of teachers.
- Riverdale is a Pre-K through Grade 12 independent school on two "green" campuses in New York City that provides a rigorous academic program for its students as well as an intentional educational focus on personal development in all divisions.
- The school has many traditions that have developed in its 100+ year history, but, at the same time, is a leader in developing educational practices that are relevant to schools in the United States and across the globe. Riverdale provides a comprehensive education that challenges our students, helps them develop meaning and purpose in their lives and, as our mission states "developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good". Riverdale is more than just a school, it is an experience.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1151 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||196 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Total Educational Costs for 2019-2020 for Students in PreK-12th Grade: $54,150At Riverdale, our "tuition" includes lunch, books, and all required activities.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jenna R. King|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Asian-American Alliance (AAA), BSA (Black Student Alliance), Creative Writing, Dance Club, Debate, Do Something (community organization), Girls Learn International, GLOW (Gay, Lesbian or Whatever), Habitat for Humanity, HOLA (Hispanic Organization for Latino Awareness), Literary magazines (various), Mock Trial, Model U.N., Mythbusters, Peer Tutoring, Riverdale Review school newspaper, Robin Hood, RSPCA (Riverdale Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), Spoken Word Club, Student-Faculty Council, Sustainability Committee, Yearbook, Zawadi by Youth Microfinance Club
- Riverdale Country School aims to cultivate the unique talents of its students and to nurture their intellectual, creative, physical, moral, emotional, and social development.
- Riverdale is a nonprofit, nondenominational institution that is governed by a 31-member Board of Trustees.
- Riverdale Country School is the largest independent school campus in New York City, with a total of 27.5 acres: the 19.5-acre Middle and Upper School Hill Campus for Grades 6-12, and the 8-acre Lower School River Campus for Pre-Kindergarten-Grade 5.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bronx Grades: 6-8 | 377 students
3901 Fieldston Rd
Bronx, NY 10471
(718)329-7333 0.8 6-8
- Tarrytown Grades: K-12 | 840 students
293 Benedict Avenue
Tarrytown, NY 10591
(914)366-2642 12 K-12
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.