Riverdale Country School
Students can do homework or study in the library, which also houses writing and math centers where they can get extra help from a variety of teachers.
- Riverdale is a Pre-K through Grade 12 independent school on two "green" campuses in New York City that provides a rigorous academic program for its students as well as an intentional educational focus on personal development in all divisions.
- The school has many traditions that have developed in its 100+ year history, but, at the same time, is a leader in developing educational practices that are relevant to schools in the United States and across the globe. Riverdale provides a comprehensive education that challenges our students, helps them develop meaning and purpose in their lives and, as our mission states "developing minds, building character, and creating community in order to change our world for the good". Riverdale is more than just a school, it is an experience.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1140 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||196 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Total Educational Costs for 2017-2018 for Students in PreK-12th Grade: $52,050At Riverdale, our "tuition" includes lunch, books, and all required activities.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jenna R. King|
|Admissions Associate||Timothy Sacks|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Fencing, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Asian-American Alliance (AAA), BSA (Black Student Alliance), Creative Writing, Culinary Club, Dance Club, Debate, Do Something (community organization), Girls Learn International, GLOW (Gay, Lesbian or Whatever), Habitat for Humanity, HOLA (Hispanic Organization for Latino Awareness), Literary magazines (various), Mock Trial, Model U.N., Mythbusters, Peer Tutoring, Riverdale Review school newspaper, Robin Hood, RSPCA (Riverdale Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), Spoken Word Club, Student-Faculty Council, Sustainability Committee, Yearbook, Zawadi by Youth Microfinance Clu|
- Riverdale Country School aims to cultivate the unique talents of its students and to nurture their intellectual, creative, physical, moral, emotional, and social development.
- Riverdale is a nonprofit, nondenominational institution that is governed by a 31-member Board of Trustees.
- Riverdale Country School is the largest independent school campus in New York City, with a total of 27.5 acres: the 19.5-acre Middle and Upper School Hill Campus for Grades 6-12, and the 8-acre Lower School River Campus for Pre-Kindergarten-Grade 5.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BronxGrades: 6-8 | 377 students
3901 Fieldston Rd
Bronx, NY 10471
- RyeGrades: PK-12 | 884 students
Rye, NY 10580
- BronxGrades: KG-12 | 1688 students
231 W 246th St
Bronx, NY 10471
- TarrytownGrades: K-12 | 847 students
293 Benedict Avenue
Tarrytown, NY 10591
- New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 1240 students
5 W 93rd St
New York, NY 10025
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.