Robert Louis Stevenson School
- For over 50 years, Stevenson has been helping students achieve their goals in an atmosphere that encourages success, self-awareness and independence. It is the mission of the Robert Louis Stevenson School to help bright adolescents who have been underachieving by providing a college preparatory educational program within a therapeutic milieu that delivers the necessary academic, social and emotional help for them to succeed.
- Stevenson aims to help its students achieve on a level commensurate with their abilities, and to prepare them to cope with the demands and pressures of both college and everyday life.
- Over 90% of graduates go on to higher education. Stevenson has year-round admissions, including summer school, with placement opportunities available now.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to moderate learning differences|
|Total Students||67 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$49,000|
|Tuition Notes||Although we are an independent school, many parents receive funding through the Special Education system|
|Admissions Director||Dr. Dayana Jimenez|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoftballBasketball, Softball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||"Art Manifest" - a weeklong celebration of the arts, Literary and Art Journal - Foot in the Door, Student Council, The Stevenson Book Club, Yearbook Clu|
- Robert Louis Stevenson School is an innovative, independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school in Manhattan. Stevenson seeks to help bright adolescents who have been underachieving by getting them back on course to attend college. These are students who have been unable to negotiate the academic, social and emotional pressures of the typical high school environment. Stevenson aims to help its students achieve on a level commensurate with their abilities, and to prepare them to cope with the demands and pressures of both college and everyday life. Small but challenging classes are offered in a warm caring milieu that includes personal therapeutic assistance and any required remedial help. Classes and Advising Groups average fewer than ten students. Stevenson has year-round admissions, including summer school, with placement opportunities available now.
Profile last updated: 05/03/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 306 students
587 Main St
New York, NY 10044
- New YorkGrades: 4-12 | 235 students
126 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011
- New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 1240 students
5 W 93rd St
New York, NY 10025
- New YorkGrades: K-8 | 160 students
211 West 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 1281 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
My son is very bright but was depressed, oppositional and failing all his classes at Bronx Science. We enrolled him at Stevenson, and though it was not an immediate, magical solution to all his problems, over time and with the help of its caring and seemingly infinitely patient teachers and staff, he really changed. Each kid is part of an advisory group that can become quite close, and there's constant feedback, including student-teacher--rather than parent-teacher--conferences when grades are handed out (in the form of very detailed reports). One of the most immediate benefits of sending your child to Stevenson: you will never be asked to be a homework-enforcer, which in itself cuts down on tension at home. This is not the most academically rigorous environment (e.g., they offer no foreign languages, no A.P. anything; with a student body of at most 75, they can't offer a wide range of courses), but it was the right place for my son, who will go to college in the fall (incidentally, Stevenson's faculty and staff work with your child to handle the college application process, another way they help cut down on parent-child friction). My son needed to be at a place where teachers would meet him halfway and work with him where he was, rather than being baffled that he wasn't like all the other kids--Stevenson was that place, and I can't be more grateful to them.
- Posted by Parent - nw2
My son was on the verge of dropping out, attending as few classes as possible. In Stevenson, he is thriving, participating in art projects, musical entertainments, sports and going to school willingly and joyfully! He's on the honor roll. Thank God for Stevenson. Our home is at peace and my son is more secure in his skin!
- Posted by Parent - setra
RLSS has a warm,welcoming environment and a wonderful sense of community. I am delighted that I chose to have our child attend this amazing school. The teaching staff and advisers have a genuine interest in the kids. My child's attitude about school has changed tremendously. He wants to be on time for school, he is responsible for his homework, interested in his classes and he has joined the after school sports team. I highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - 1drsp
They provide the academic and emotional support kids need to succeed! The new Headmaster of Stevenson is wonderful and the teachers are tremendously dedicated to their students.
- Posted by Parent - traci