Saint James School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked MD School
- Grades: 8-12
- Enrollment: 232 students
- Yearly Tuition: $33,500
- Acceptance rate: 54%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 1 / Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Saint James School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
Academics and Faculty
Blazer and slacks for boys; blazer and skirt or slacks for girls
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Big Sib/Little Sib, Chess Club, Creative Writing Club, Culinary Club, Debate Club, Garden Club, Historical Society, Investment Club, Maker Club, Math Club, Model UN, Newspaper, Psychology Club, Speech and Debate, Sports Medicine Club, Student Activities Committee, Tour Guides, Vestry, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Boys' A Cappella, Chamber Orchestra, Chapel Choir, Dance, Flute Ensemble, Girls' A Cappella, Playwriting and Directing, Private Music Lessons, Stage Crew, String Ensemble, Studio Art, Theater, Wind Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Team, Ski Club
- Founded in 1842, Saint James School is a coeducational, Episcopal boarding school with a smaller day student program. With three-quarters of our students boarding and the student body representing 16 states and 26 foreign countries, the school prides itself on offering a personalized approach to learning in a diverse and inclusive environment. As a result of the strong tradition of academic excellence, with competitive athletics and a full program in the arts, Saint James School challenges its students to grow academically, athletically, artistically, socially, and morally.
- Saint James is located in Hagerstown, Maryland, 75 miles from both Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Our beautiful, 689-acre campus offers 13 buildings, 9 playing fields, 12 tennis courts, a driving range, and a natural spring (the Bai Yuka). Each weekend, students enjoy chaperoned off-campus activities-including local shopping and dining, museums, visits to major historical sites, and trips to Washington and Baltimore.
- We worship in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Episcopal Church, welcoming people of all religious faiths and backgrounds. Daily chapel, an honor code, and a strong culture of respect and civility strengthens our students` spiritual and moral development and deepens their connection to others.
- Successful applicants are people of outstanding character, academic drive, and curiosity, with wide-ranging interests in athletics, fine arts, and community service. Our students are ambitious but also generous and collaborative.
- Find your place at Saint James School.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Holloway - Former Chair, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Alfred T. Mahan - 19th century naval strategist, author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Saint James School cost?
Saint James School's tuition is approximately $33,500 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Saint James School?
The acceptance rate of Saint James School is 54%, which is lower than the national average of 82%. Saint James School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Maryland with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Saint James School?
Saint James School famous alumni include: James Holloway and Alfred T. Mahan.
What sports does Saint James School offer?
Saint James School offers 15 interscholastic sports: Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting and Wrestling. Saint James School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for most sports offered.
What is Saint James School's ranking?
Saint James School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for: Lowest average acceptance rates, Most sports offered, Most extracurriculars offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Saint James School?
The application deadline for Saint James School is Dec. 1 / Jan. 31 / rolling (applications are due on Dec. 1 / Jan. 31 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Saint James School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards