St. Catherine's Academy
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #2 - Technology continues to grow, and St. Catherine's is committed to reflecting that in our educational program. Each classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard, and students can utilize personal computers through our traveling laptop cart. In addition, every student attends computer instruction in our new technology learning lab. Students learn basic computer and study skills and are instructed in the full suite of Microsoft programs most commonly required in college-prep high school classes.
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #3 - Founded in 1889, St. Catherine's Academy is a Catholic school with a military tradition for boys in kindergarten – 8th grade.
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #4 - With a student-to-faculty ratio of 10:1, students can receive personal attention and specialized instruction.
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #5 - St. Catherine's strives to nurture in each student an awareness of God and a sense of moral responsibility. We welcome boys of all faith traditions and respect the religious beliefs of all members of our school community.
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #6 - Our unique military program is designed to help each boy rise to his fullest potential. Based on positive peer pressure, our program helps students develop leadership skills and increase their self-confidence.
St. Catherine's Academy Photo #7 - St. Catherine's recognizes the important role that athletics plays in the development of a well-rounded young man. Our physical education program and championship athletic teams seek to develop skills and capabilities that reach far beyond the athletic field.
Founded in 1889, St. Catherine's Academy is a Catholic school with a military tradition for boys in kindergarten – 8th grade.
We provide young men with a faith-filled foundation for lifelong success.
Our multifaceted program includes faith formation, all-boys academics, and a military tradition for leadership and self-motivation.
We offer small classes, state-of-the-art technology, marching band, athletics, and much more.
We welcome day and boarding students. As the only Catholic grade school with a military tradition in the US, our school is so unique you have to see it for yourself!.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 171 students
- Yearly Tuition: $10,810
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
ESL, Resource Specialist
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
5-day and 7-day boarding options available for both U.S. and International students.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Color Guard, Drill Team, Marching Band, Prayer Group
- Founded and operated by the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, St. Catherine's Academy is an independent Catholic boys' academy with a military tradition. We are committed to guiding each boy to his fullest potential.
- As the only all boys' elementary school in southern California, we are dedicated to providing the best learning environment for boys by offering small class sizes, more teacher attention, structure and consistency. Our teachers are able to focus on the specific learning styles of boys and young men.
- St. Catherine's offers enrichment classes in music, physical education, Spanish, computer skills, laboratory science, teamwork and leadership, marching band, piano, and guitar.
- The St. Catherine's faculty consists of Dominican Sisters and lay colleagues. Our faculty members have an average of 23 years experience, and 64% hold advanced degrees. St. Catherine's teachers are known for their open communication with parents and dedication to overall student success.
- St. Catherine's offers opportunities for students' faith to find expression in their daily lives and choices by:providing liturgical experiences which encourage active participation as lectors, choir members, and altar servers; providing religion classes which present doctrine and scripture in a relevant and interesting manner; engaging cadets in various prayer experiences in class, in the dormitory, and at morning assembly; and helping cadets to reflect on the values and moral principles which guide their choices and actions.
- Our military program strives to instill in our boys leadership, confidence, honor, courage, commitment, responsibility, compassion, and respect. An SCA cadet places a high value on personal integrity and adherence to the honor code. The structure and consistency of this program enables our boys to develop leadership skills, self-motivation, and confidence.
- Our boarding option (grades 4 – 8 only) gives added structure to a student's day. Resident students participate in a full day of classes, activities, meals, and study hall before returning to one of our four dormitories, which are staffed by our Dominican Sisters.
- Approximately 20% of students are international, introducing our cadets to a variety of cultures.
- With a fun and secure 8-acre campus, SCA is located in southern California, just minutes away from Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and the beach. Our spacious campus includes a football field, an obstacle course, an indoor heated pool, and a gymnasium.
- Our academic facilities are second-to-none. Each classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard. Facilities also include a computer lab, science lab, piano room with ten practice pianos, band room, guitar room, and newly renovated library.
- Our program is so unique you have to see if for yourself. Schedule your tour today!
Source: Verified school update
View the St. Catherine's Academy yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
NO SCHOOL: Thanksgiving Break
November 24, 2022 (Thursday)
Last Day for K-1
June 07, 2023 (Wednesday)
Excellent foundational curriculum and personality/attitude building. My son is always excited to come back to this scholastic residence on Sunday afternoons to rejoin his friends and teachers. The changes brought on him in academics and outdoor activities by the teachers and military instructors are beyond our expectations as parents. We wish they have 9th-12th high school classes.
Best school for boys. Outstanding education by the top teachers. Excellent discipline by ex military men via self control and physical exercise. Healthy, positive atmosphere empowering young men. Kind and nurturing guidance by the nuns and office staff. Wholesome, healthy meals from scratch 3 meals a day by kitchen crew. We drive because our boys deserve an amazing environment.
Endorse St. Catherine's Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.