The Garden School of Marietta
The Garden School of Marietta Photo #2 - Tending the fire on a chilly day in the forest kindergarten.
The Garden School of Marietta Photo #5 - Learning to identify and harvest medicinal herbs in the woods.
Combining a secular interpretation of Rudolf Steiner's humanitarian curriculum with a rich nature-immersive approach, The Garden's educational philosophy engages the head, the heart, and the hands to provide a broad, balanced, and holistic education that nurtures the whole human being. We preserve the innocence and wonder of childhood through security and freedom; allowing children to move, explore, create, and play within a safe and predictable environment and rhythm.
- School Type: Waldorf School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-4
- Yearly Tuition: $11,400
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 18 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
Academics and Faculty
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Feb. 18 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Kindergarten has 6 enrollment options, with a different tuition for each option. Please see our website for details.
% on Financial Aid
- The Garden School educates children in a loving, enriching environment. We offer a rich curriculum that awakens the imagination, opens the heart, and engages the hands by developing each child's ability to think clearly, feel deeply and act purposefully. At The Garden we are committed to:
- // Honoring each child's spirit while emphasizing responsibility and cooperation;
- // Fostering academic excellence through an integrated, Waldorf-inspired curriculum that reveals the interrelatedness of all knowledge, and which teaches children how to learn rather than merely how to memorize information;
- // An experiential approach that allows each subject to be explored through many modalities and hands-on activities including discussion, field investigations, drama, art, music, and written material;
- // Making a progressive, Waldorf-inspired education available to children of all backgrounds and families of all means;
- // Cultivating a spirit of ownership and community, where children see their parents involved regularly in the daily life of the school; and
- // Respect for others, reverence for nature, service to the wider community and unity with all life.
- The first seven years of a childs life are devoted to the development of the physical body and PLAY is the childs work in the Kindergarten. Neural pathways in the developing brain are laid down through movement and imaginative play, building a strong foundation for later academic learning. Plenty of free, unstructured play encourages problem solving, creative thinking, and facilitates healthy social interaction. Children learn though imitating the world around them and if children are given the opportunity to imitate that which is beautiful, meaningful and true, then they are able to go forth in life with initiative and purpose.
- The Forest Kindergarten teacher is the model for the child demonstrating purposeful use of language, meaningful physical movement, and cultivation of beauty. Our teachers, through rhythm, repetition and reverence, are able to create a wholesome environment that nurtures the physical, emotional, social and spiritual development of each child. They also encourage a budding sense of scientific curiosity and engagement with the natural world.
- To face the future in our rapidly changing world with confidence, our children need to develop emotional stability, intellectual flexibility, and moral values along with academic skills. Children learn differently at different stages of development. This means that the curriculum of each grade is carefully chosen to work in harmony with the phases of the childs inner development.
- In the first eight grades of school, children encounter the main branches of human knowledge. During that time, they also form their sense of self and their attitude toward others and the world around them. In short, they lay the foundation for their future striving and development. It is the aim of our Waldorf-inspired education to make their foundation resilient and broad.The children participate in choral and instrumental music, express themselves through drama and a variety of other artistic media, practice hands-on skills such as knitting, gardening, and woodworking, and enjoy physical education in addition to solid academic subjects such as English, history, geography, mathematics, and the sciences.
- Children learn best if they love their teacher. When children enter Grade 1 at The Garden School, they meet the person, who ideally, will teach them the core curriculum for the next eight years. The relationship between teacher and child is constantly evolving and deepening, and provides a continuity often lacking today. Mutual trust and confidence allows the development of an authority that is not arbitrary and to which children respond without aggression or resentment. In this way, parents and teachers can work together over long periods of time, orchestrating their efforts to meet the changing needs of the child.
- Each day begins with a two-hour period devoted to a single academic subject when the childrens concentration is at its peak. One topic is studied for three or four weeks and then a new topic is begun. This method allows the teacher to cover a subject in-depth, using a variety of approaches.
- The best way to make an informed decision about whether or not your child should attend The Garden School would be to attend a guided tour or open house.
Profile last updated: 07/20/2021
This school brings out the best in every student. My son was so happy to join their middle school. Grade 7 was his best school year so far.We had to move to another state and my son will not be able to attend his 8th grade and he was truly sad. I can only speak highly of the Garden school. Not only the curriculum is outstanding but the staff and the teachers are so caring and dedicated to their job. Being a student at the Garden school cannot be compare with being a student in public school... It was my first experience in an american private school and I will never regret it... I now simply regret I had to move out of state! Thank you Garden school for helping my son to grow up and for teaching him valuable skills.
We absolutely love The Garden School. Our son is thriving in this environment. Seeing him come home happy and dirty and learning so many wonderful things is a blessing! You should definitely check this one out!
This school is fantastic! The teachers are knowledgeable and supportive. My son`s self-esteem has really skyrocketed! I highly recommend The Garden School!
The Garden School is fantastic! Our son loves learning in the outdoors, and the teachers are awesome!
We have loved our experience here. To know the values the school and all the teacher hold make it easy to bring your children here. They really see each child and do their best to help them thrive. During breaks when your child asks when they will be returning to school, that is confirmation.
This forest school is a gift to our children, our family and our community. They truly care about each and every student and helping them realize their full potential as a human being. The atmosphere at the school is consistently warm and caring and the teachers and administrators are enthusiastic and engaged. The Garden School is the embodiment of the Waldorf philosophy of "holding space for the child" as they learn. It's really a beautiful thing.
My 2 children (3 & 6) attended The Garden School for the first time this year and we couldn't be happier with our experience here. We have seen our children grow in independence, imagination, love for one another, desire for the outdoors, and respect for others in the short time we have attended. The teachers are more than willing to talk to us or help us understand more of the teaching philosophy. They take time to understand our children and are passionate about what they do. We love all of the outdoor time the kids get as well as the Waldorf teaching method they use. It is a small school and we love it! We look forward to many more years here!!
We love The Garden School of Marietta! If I could build my ideal school it would look just like this. My daughter has learned so much just in one year. Besides the typical math and reading she has learned knitting, wood working, gardening, animal care, outdoor safety, a musical instrument, Spanish, fables from different cultures, different types of shelters, native plants & invasive species, and so much more! She loves going to school and telling me each day what she has learned. She has become much more confident and creative and truly loves learning. I can`t recommend them enough!
The Garden School has been a great fit for our family. We love being a part of the community and seeing how the school has grown and expanded. Our daughter absolutely loves coming to class every day. The teachers and staff are wonderful to work with. This school offers a rich educational experience.
My daughter's relationship with math, with science, with nature, and with the whole learning process has been transformed here. We are so grateful to be part of this community.
We had every intention of exclusively homeschooling our children because we truly felt that we could offer them more at home than they could receive in the public school system. Those plans quickly changed when we found The Garden. We now have a school that can give them more than we possibly could at home. We are so thankful to have the love, support and wisdom from the community at The Garden.
The quality of education our children are receiving at The Garden is unsurpassed. It.s unique approach to child development, it's low student to teacher ratio and the quality of faculty and staff make this an excellent school.
The leadership team works tirelessly for the children to create a space where they are nurtured, enriched, and develop an empathic world view along with a brilliant approach to academics. My two children at The Garden have vastly different personalities, and they are understood and treated as individuals with differing needs.
The Garden School is beyond amazing. My daughter loves going to school everyday. The teachers and staff are all great. I truly believe that this school has played a large part in my daughter's confidence, empathy, leadership skills, and love of nature. Our experience with The Garden School has been wonderful.
Endorse The Garden School of Marietta. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.