Charles E Smith Jewish Day School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #2 - The average class size at CESJDS is 17 students with an 8:1 student-to-teacher ratio
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #3 - 81% of CESJDS teachers have a master's degree or higher
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #4 - CESJDS offers 12 different sports with 39 teams competing at middle school, junior varsity and varsity levels.
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #5 - CESJDS provided $5.3 million in financial aid to families this year, with 45% of students receiving aid.
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #6 - CESJDS is a 1:1 school with students having access to iPads, Chromebooks, and laptops.
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School Photo #7 - Gurim is an experiential, child-centered Junior Kindergarten that balances academics and play in a developmentally appropriate setting.
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School seeks to engage its 950+ students in an exemplary and inspiring general and Judaic education.
- Our faculty work determinedly to instill feelings of joy and self-confidence in each child, and through an integrated curriculum, inspire the growth and success of confident and compassionate thinkers, anchored in Jewish values.
Charles E Smith Jewish Day School places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||892 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||242 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1390|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Blue & White on Fridays)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Gurim Junior Kindergarten -$21,660 Lower School (K-5) - $27,070 Upper School (6-11) - $34,720 Grade 12 (first semester) - $17,750|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Pamela Shrock - LS Director|
|Admissions Associate||Miriam Stein - US Director|
|Endowment Size||$16.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||A Capella Choir, Art Club, Ceramics Club, Collage - Literary Magazine, Computer Club, Debate Team, Dimensions - Yearbook, Fencing Club, Intramural Sports, Israel Awareness Club, Jazz Band, Junior Statesmen of America, Knesset (student government), Lion's Tale - Newspaper, M'AT Community Service, Math Team, Melting Pot - Romance Language Magazine, Mock Trial, Outdoors Club, Peer Tutors, Poetry Club, Reflections - Literary Magazine, Robotics, Talmund Club, Theater, Video/Photo Clu|
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School (CESJDS) is the only pluralistic JK-12 community day school in the Washington, D.C. area, and one of only a few in the United States.
- We are a welcoming, inclusive community united by our shared Jewish values, and we embrace a wide spectrum of Jewish backgrounds, beliefs and practices. Our comprehensive dual-curriculum invokes deep and critical thinking, and our students are guided by dedicated and gifted faculty. CESJDS graduates emerge as confident and compassionate life-long learners who lead positive change in the world.
- Inquiry, creativity and collaboration take place everyday on two campuses located in Rockville, Maryland, less than 10 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rockville Grades: 1-12 | 321 students
6000 Executive Blvd Suite 605
Rockville, MD 20852
(301)881-0078 0.6 1-12
- Rockville Grades: 6-12 | 60 students
5100 Randolph Road
Rockville, MD 20852
(301)770-5335 1.3 6-12
I love JDS!!! My son started in 9th grade when we moved from Florida. The teachers, students and entire community is so warm and welcoming. My son has profoundly benefited from the values-based/character education. He also loves the dual-language environment and the superb Judaic Studies curriculum. He has gained important skills for life including critical thinking and analysis, ethical leadership and study skills. JDS also has a huge range of extracurricular and elective opportunities. I highly recommend JDS to any family, especially the high school.
- Posted by Parent - Tsila
I love JDS!!! My son started in 9th grade when we moved from Florida. The teachers, students and entire community is so warm and welcoming. My son has profoundly benefited from the values-based/character education. He also loves the dual-language environment and the superb Judaic Studies curriculum. He has gained important skills for life including critical thinking and analysis, ethical leadership and study skills. JDS also has a huge range of extracurricular and elective opportunities. I highly recommend JDS to any family especially the high school.
- Posted by Parent - TK
I absolutely love this school. As a Freshman at JDS, I can honestly say I have had the best experience at the upper school, as well as the lower school. I have become close with every single one of my teachers. Not to mention my fellow students. We are one community. One family. We are united in the fact that we all share a common history and background. It does not matter if you are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc. You are accepted here. And I can honestly say I am extremely happy that my parents sent me to the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School in kindegarden. I would not have my excellent GPA, my dedicated teachers, my amazing friends, and the chance to pursue anything I wanted, if I had gone to another school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ammep
The Department of Homeland Security recently announced that it would enforce a 2017 policy of requiring visa applicants to list their social media handles. More about this and how it impacts international students wishing to attend American K-12 private schools.
We parents are responsible for expanding our children's horizons. We are responsible for showing and explaining things, concepts, and places they have never thought of. This article contains my roadmap for enriching your child's education.
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.