Charles E Smith Jewish Day School
5.00 (1 review)
CESJDS offers 12 different sports with 39 teams competing at middle school, junior varsity and varsity levels.
CESJDS provided $5.3 million in financial aid to families this year, with 45% of students receiving aid.
Gurim is an experiential, child-centered Junior Kindergarten that balances academics and play in a developmentally appropriate setting.
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School seeks to engage its 950+ students in an exemplary and inspiring general and Judaic education.
- Our faculty work determinedly to instill feelings of joy and self-confidence in each child, and through an integrated curriculum, inspire the growth and success of confident and compassionate thinkers, anchored in Jewish values.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Solomon Schechter Day Schools (SSDS)
State or regional independent school association
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||1117 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 33%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||242 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1390|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Blue & White on Fridays)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Gurim Junior Kindergarten -$19,850 Lower School (K-5) - $24,810 Upper School (6-11) - $31,820 Grade 12 (first semester) - $16, 270|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Pamela Shrock|
|Admissions Associate||Miriam Stein - US Director|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||A Capella Choir, Art Club, Ceramics Club, Collage - Literary Magazine, Computer Club, Debate Team, Dimensions - Yearbook, Fencing Club, Intramural Sports, Israel Awareness Club, Jazz Band, Junior Statesmen of America, Knesset (student government), Lion's Tale - Newspaper, M'AT Community Service, Math Team, Melting Pot - Romance Language Magazine, Mock Trial, Outdoors Club, Peer Tutors, Poetry Club, Reflections - Literary Magazine, Robotics, Talmund Club, Theater, Video/Photo Club Art Club, Ceramics Club, Computer Club, Debate Team, Fencing Club, Jazz Band, Math Team, Mock Trial, Outdoors Club, Peer Tutors, Poetry Club, Robotics, Talmund Club, Theater, A Capella Choir,
Collage - Literary Magazine,
Dimensions - Yearbook,
Israel Awareness Club,
Junior Statesmen of America,
Knesset (student government),
Lion's Tale - Newspaper,
M'AT Community Service,
Melting Pot - Romance Language Magazine,
Reflections - Literary Magazine,
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School (CESJDS) is the only pluralistic JK-12 community day school in the Washington, D.C. area, and one of only a few in the United States.
- We are a welcoming, inclusive community united by our shared Jewish values, and we embrace a wide spectrum of Jewish backgrounds, beliefs and practices. Our comprehensive dual-curriculum invokes deep and critical thinking, and our students are guided by dedicated and gifted faculty. CESJDS graduates emerge as confident and compassionate life-long learners who lead positive change in the world.
- Inquiry, creativity and collaboration take place everyday on two campuses located in Rockville, Maryland, less than 10 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RockvilleGrades: PK-8 | 290 students
600 Veirs Mill Road
Rockville, MD 20852
Silver SpringGrades: PK-K | 70 students
9504 Brunett Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Silver SpringGrades: NS-12 | 283 students
13500 Layhill Road
Silver Spring, MD 20906
BethesdaGrades: NS-K | 80 students
7611 Clarendon Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
RockvilleGrades: 1-12 | 321 students
6000 Executive Blvd Suite 605
Rockville, MD 20852
I absolutely love this school. As a Freshman at JDS, I can honestly say I have had the best experience at the upper school, as well as the lower school. I have become close with every single one of my teachers. Not to mention my fellow students. We are one community. One family. We are united in the fact that we all share a common history and background. It does not matter if you are Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc. You are accepted here. And I can honestly say I am extremely happy that my parents sent me to the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School in kindegarden. I would not have my excellent GPA, my dedicated teachers, my amazing friends, and the chance to pursue anything I wanted, if I had gone to another school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ammep
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?