Holy Cross Regional Catholic School
5.00 (7 reviews)
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #2 - Our 5th grade students enjoy Reading Olympics, our annual celebration recognizing the reading accomplishments of our elementary students. Over the summer, students in grades pre-kindergarten through 2 read a total of 1,791 books while our 3 through 5 graders read 45,885 pages. The event takes place each September.
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #3 - Blessing of the Animals is one of our many traditions that take place at Holy Cross School.
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #4 - Congratulations to our Class of 2013! 100% of our seniors go to college....year after year after year.
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #5 - We believe that competition promotes an individual enriched in sportsmanship, discipline, and a teamwork concept. Holy Cross promotes fourteen athletic teams seven competing in the Virginia Independent Conference for boys and seven in the Blue Ridge Conference for girls. Our school offers soccer and volleyball in the fall; basketball in the winter; plus golf, tennis, baseball, and girls' soccer
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #6 - We are proud of our comprehensive fine arts program that includes theater performance, art, orchestra, band and choir.
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #7 - At Holy Cross, our academic mission is to cultivate a challenging learning environment grounded in Christian values and Catholic traditions that empowers our students to engage in a lifetime of learning; service and citizenship; challenges them to become leaders in our global society; and encourages them to share the message of God.
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #8 - Our middle school boy's basketball team getting ready for a big game!
Holy Cross Regional Catholic School Photo #9 - Our orchestra and band programs, available to students as early as elementary school, play a vital role in developing our student's creative side. Whether it be violin, keyboard or a brass instrument, our students are encouraged to explore their musical talents during their time at Holy Cross.
- Mission The mission of Holy Cross Regional Catholic School community is to cultivate a challenging learning environment grounded in Christian values and Catholic traditions that empowers our students to engage in a lifetime of learning; service and citizenship; challenges them to become leaders in our global society; and encourages them to share the message of God.
- Vision A family environment celebrating scholarship, service and Christian values.
- Holy Cross is a fully accredited college preparatory school for students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. We have passed the rigorous accreditation requirements for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the Virginia Catholic Education Association (VCEA), and the Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (CASA).
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||215 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, English, U.S History, U.S. Government|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniforms - Dress varies based on grade leve.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Ellie Nixon|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Choral Group, Drama Club, Forensics, Girls on the Run, Habitat for Humanity, Key Club, Lego League Team, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Numerous Traditions, Student Government, Theatre|
At Holy Cross,
- every teacher adheres to the requirements of the Virginia Department of Education in addition to the Diocese of Richmond certification requirements.
- our student to teacher ratio allows for individualized learning and attention.
- we offer a comprehensive fine arts program - theater performance, art, orchestra, band and choir.
- 100% of the graduating class is accepted into a college or university...year after year.
- our standardized tests scores from CTBS Terra-Nova are very impressive and consistently above average. Holy Cross students score in the top percentile in all areas (reading, language, math, science and social studies) at every grade tested (1, 3, 5, 7 and 9).
- we offer dual enrollment opportunities through Lynchburg College and Central Virginia Community College. Many Holy Cross seniors graduate with enough credits to enter college as second semester freshmen
- we offer advanced placement courses in History, Government, Math, English, Foreign Languages, and Biology.
- experiential education is a part of our curriculum! Our school community is involved in many service projects and assistance campaigns culminating thousands of hours of volunteer time.
- our students consistently honored in the local and regional Young Authors competition. Historically, over 50% of the regional winners from the Lynchburg area are from Holy Cross School.
We are proud of the many achievements of our students, faculty and staff.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Norfolk Grades: PK-12 | 176 students
2331 E Little Crk Rd
Norfolk, VA 23518
(757)583-9730 166.5 PK-12
- Roanoke Grades: PK-12 | 508 students
4254 Colonial Avenue Sw
Roanoke, VA 24018
(540)989-6641 47 PK-12
- Yorktown Grades: PK-12 | 233 students
4209 Big Bethel Road
Yorktown, VA 23693
(757)867-7005 152.1 PK-12
Very pleased that my two daughters went to Holy Cross Catholic school. They really help the child develop to their full potentials in learning, academics and other activities like sports side by side with christian values. They grow up well-rounded kids and excels in academics and character. My younger daughter ends up graduating with academic and sports scholarships. And because of the good habits she learned in holy cross, she did very well in sports and academics in college and graduated with honors and student of the year award.
- Posted by Parent - catholic
Over the past 10 years, we had the pleasure of sending our three children to Holy Cross prior to being relocated out of state for work. What impressed me the most about the school was that the faculty and staff truly cared about our kids and they looked after them as if they were their own. We always said that the school was an extention of our home - the values and morals that we instilled were reinforced while they were at school. Holy Cross was academically challenging and offered programs that were tailored to each student's needs. The school also gave our children the opportunity to participate in sports, drama, music, and after school activities like Girls On The Run. Holy Cross will always hold a special place in our family's hearts and will always be considered "home" for us.
- Posted by Parent - mdoug
An amazing family oriented school, such a welcoming and supportive community for people of all faiths! Very high academic programs and small class sizes allow for all children to experience supportive educational growth. The relationship of all the classes from Seniors to Pre-K allows for a closeness between all children I have never seen anywhere before. Holy Cross is a unique gem!
- Posted by Parent - allyp
Holy Cross offers an academically rigorous program while also offering opportunities in the arts and athletics; the graduates are truly well rounded. The teachers are committed to the art of educating children and the whole school feels like family. My children, currently in high school, have been attending since elementary and they are well prepared for college and life.
- Posted by Parent - jbdva
I LOVE Holy Cross Regional Catholic School because it is a true family where my kids are surrounded by teachers that truly care about them and their success! Holy Cross is a blessing to us!
- Posted by Parent - thmcc
Holy Cross is not just a private school it is a big family that will make you feel welcome from the time you enter the front doors. We have had our children at holy cross now for 6 years now and have not regretted the decision at all. The faculty from head of school to the custodians love the children and are very protective of the kids. If you if they do not know you they will stop and ask if they can help you with anything. The parents work hard and collectively with each other and staff to make sure that we can get the best for "our children". As parents we do all we can to have the best for our children and the staff does the same. The teachers work hard for the children I know some of the teachers that are there late at night so that our children can have fun in learning. We have families from all walks of life and all kinds of faith but as long as THE WORD OF GOD IS TAUGHT THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO ME. We are a faith based school and that is WHAT MAKES US THE BEST CHOICE. May God bless you as he blesses our school and families.
- Posted by Parent - Steve
I researched all of the private schools in the area before selecting Holy Cross. Best decision I have ever made. Best academics by far, love the close family atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - jmrt8
Nearby Homes for Sale
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.