Jenkintown Day Nursery was founded in 1903 by Mrs. Theodore B. Culver who saw the need for day care for children who were left unattended while their mother was at work.
She believed there should be shelter and care for the young children of poor, working women regardless of race, creed or color, whose employment calls them from their home. Fees were set on a sliding scale based on income and still are today! As the number of children in care increased, JDN moved to new locations settling into our current building in 1965 and adding our new Playhouse in 2003.
Jenkintown Day Nursery has a richly diverse population and is the oldest private day care center in Montgomery County.
JDN has a dedicated voluntary board of directors who raise the funds that keep the program affordable to all families. Our goal is to promote your childs independence, self-esteem, positive attitudes and readiness skills through exposing your child to a wide variety of activities that enhance his/her social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth.
Our curriculum is designed to allow children to learn at their own pace and allows us to meet their individual needs.
We follow the Pennsylvania Early Learning Standards throughout our curriculum and participate in the Keystones STARS Program.
We have achieved STAR 4 status (the highest) which shows our commitment to continuous quality improvement.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked PA School
- School Type: Early Childhood / Day Care
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool
- Enrollment: 170 students
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Jenkintown Day Nursery ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 26%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- Jenkintown Day Nursery is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides quality early education child care for children ages 2 to kindergarten. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides a truly enriching environment, allowing parents to work to support their families with the utmost confidence in their childs care. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides an outstanding start to a child's education in small and nurturing classes. Students develop a love for learning. Jenkintown Day Nursery's teachers promote independence, self-esteem, positive attitudes and readiness skills in their students, preparing them for success. Because we care about both the needs of the child and the family, we welcome parents participation and invite them to participate in a variety of programs. Over the years, parents who remember their own experiences at JDN have come back to entrust their children to be nurtured by our capable, loving teachers.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Jenkintown Day Nursery's ranking?
Jenkintown Day Nursery ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for: Highest percentage of students of color and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Jenkintown Day Nursery?
The application deadline for Jenkintown Day Nursery is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Jenkintown Day Nursery. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.