5.00 (1 review)
- Oakwood School is a non-profit, non-sectarian New Jersey Private School for the Disabled.
- The school serves adolescents age 12-21 in grades 6 through 12.
- Twenty-Five school districts in Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, Mercer and Union counties entrust Oakwood School to educate their special needs children.
- Our primary population is learning and/or language impaired children with concomitant social or behavior issues.
- Many of our students are school phobic, anxious and high functioning Autism.
- Our nurturing program incorporates school-wide Collaborative Problem Solving, positive behavioral supports and token economies.
- The teaching staff is highly qualified and our counseling support staff (2) are highly trained, and dedicated to enriching the lives of their students.
- Our less than 3-1 staff/student ratio, combined with a small intimate setting, is conducive to maximizing learning and personal growth.
- The school provides a safe, caring atmosphere that encourages students to develop their academic potential, self-control, and enhances their sense of self-esteem.
- This blend of socialization experiences and academic programming maximizes the acquisition of basic skills in the N.J. Common Core Curriculum subjects, thereby enabling students to function as independently as possible upon graduation.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities, High Functioning Asperger, School Phobic|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,865|
|Tuition Notes||We accept private and public school tuition|
|Admissions Director||Robert E. White, Ed.D.|
- For over 36 years, Oakwood School has been meeting the educational, social and emotional needs of students with learning and emotional disabilities. Along with our Collaborative Problem Solving paradigm, our small, nurturing school incorporates school-wide positive behavioral supports and token economies. This is ideal for learning disabled students who have difficulty reaching their potential in departmentalized, large school environments. Oakwood School offers students:
- - a small, safe, structured environment for middle school and high school students;
- - a strong departmental/selfcontained academic program for students with learning disabilities, ADHD, behavior disorders, high functioning autism/Aspergers, school phobias, anxiety disorders, OCD, and mild to moderate ODD;
- - a therapeutic setting with two counselors;
- - an experienced and highly qualified staff and administration;
- - 17 teachers and aides for 38 students (a less than 3-1 student to staff ratio); and
- - an emphasis on "Transitioning" into the post high school world, including vocational counseling, job placement and Brookdale Community College Fast Start enrollment.
- For a complete overview of our school and programs, please visit our Web site: OakwoodSchool.net.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: 5-8 | 71 students
500 N Allen Ave
Richmond, VA 23220
(804)228-2436 264.2 5-8
- Fairchance Grades: 3-12 | 92 students
25 S Main St
Fairchance, PA 15436
(724)564-2860 301.8 3-12
- Mifflinburg Grades: 1
Mifflinburg, PA 17844 162.6 1
- Canton Grades: PK-12 | 365 students
2107 6th Street SW
Canton, OH 44706
(330)452-8271 385 PK-12
We consider Oakwood School to be a school of miracles. Our son refused to go to school and was miserable until we found Oakwood School. We now know what he looks like when he's happy. We especially liked feeling and seeing the encouragement, love, concern and respect your staff have for the students. You gave my husband and I the greatest gift in the world, you gave us our son back!
- Posted by Parent - Queen
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
Your school's website and your social media sites are essential tools in your marketing program.
Choosing the right private school for your child is a lengthy process. I want you to achieve the success which you deserve without making these common mistakes other parents have made.