St. James' Episcopal School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Grandparents and Special Friends Day is a delightful day where students get to share their families with us.
- St. James` appreciates the differences that mark each learner in our school as an individual.
- One of our core beliefs is recognizing the distinctive gifts of each student and inspiring all children to do their best.
- Because of our commitment to developing our students` numerous aptitudes, our graduates matriculate to a wide variety of middle schools.
- As an urban school, we celebrate the gifts and challenges of our multiplicity.
- We strive to help our students develop a sense of balance and a realistic view of the world.
- Over the summer, we started the largest single investment in our school`s history with a school renovation.
- Classrooms were made more functional, flexible, and dynamic. By adjoining grade level classrooms, and providing adaptable furniture, teachers can configure the space around the lesson not vice-versa.
- Additionally, the Teaching and Learning Institute initiated in September 2017 provides a four-fold increase in professional development for our wonderful faculty and staff.
- St. James` students practice complex thinking to solve problems and take responsibility for their own learning.
- Our teachers encourage children to apply their knowledge to new situations and to search for creative solutions to problems. Everything we teach and do is the curriculum.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||368 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 2 / Nov. 4|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,480|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all supplies, field trips, and before and after-school care until 6:00 p.m.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sarah Lougheed-Gill|
|Admissions Associate||Kimberly James|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
Club or Organization:
Band, Community Service / Service Learning, Robotics, Student Leadership
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance, School Musical and School Play
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Paramount to our philosophy of teaching and learning is the belief that intelligence is neither a fixed nor an unchanging commodity. St. James` intentionally expands each child`s capacity for learning in a thoughtfully designed environment where children are not just "taught;" they are encouraged to explore, investigate, work collaboratively, and probe the world around them. Though we are best known for our traditional educational approaches, we also believe that children should have the opportunity to construct meaning as they assimilate knowledge. Rather than merely providing rote learning in our classrooms, we encourage our teachers to stretch the children`s ability to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate what they learn; to apply their learning to new situations; and to present confidently and in a variety of formats what they have learned. Because our children will inherit a complex and unpredictable world, we believe that a St. James` education should provide our students with the thinking strategies they will need to solve problems and resolve conflicts. We acknowledge that our children must grow into adulthood with equal measures of creativity and critical thinking skills, and we foster the ability to seek and apply knowledge from a wide variety of sources. But above all, we at St. James` pledge to inculcate in our students a commitment to ethical behavior and an abiding appreciation for the differences that mark each human being as an individual of inestimable worth and dignity.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- River Edge Grades: PK-8 | 201 students
431 5th Avenue
River Edge, NJ 07661
(201)261-3468 2446 PK-8
- Palisades Park Grades: PK-8 | 340 students
312 1st St
Palisades Park, NJ 07650
(201)947-5262 2448.9 PK-8
- Los Angeles Grades: PK-3 | 175 students
565 N. Larchmont Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323)463-5118 1.4 PK-3
- Los Angeles Grades: PK-12 | 427 students
540 S Commonwealth Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90020
(213)385-7351 1.5 PK-12
- Los Angeles Grades: PK-3 | 108 students
242 N Burlington Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213)483-0928 2.7 PK-3
Strong, traditional, academic orientation, updated for today's modern world. My son is in second grade and he is happy and challenged.
- Posted by Parent - lahof
Our Sixth grader graduated from St James last year after going all the way through from kindergarten. He was so well served by this school, that we cannot express enough gratitude and love to the faculty who nurtured him. There is a wonderful warm atmosphere from the minute you walk through the doors, and the teaching staff feel like friends. It is an episcopalian school, but opens its doors to all religions and creeds. That makes it quite a special place. I have had friends with children at other private schools express their envy to me at the racial and socio-economic diversity of the school. And it really is something to be envied. I would recommend this school whole heartedly to anyone.
- Posted by Parent - lucyb
My 2 children go to this school. They love this school and so do we. When you walk around the school, you see teachers who love their work and the children they teach, administration who care about the children and parents who are down to earth and are a wonderful part of this culturally diverse community. When we drop off our children, we know that they are in a loving and safe place where they are able to play and learn. On top of that, they learn "how to" learn, not just how to memorize facts. The children are curious, respectful and caring. For working parents, the school offers child care before school starts and after school ends as part of their tuition!!
- Posted by Parent - leus
Saint James is a fantastic elementary school. Our daughter loves learning and St. James caters to the student as an individual while maintaining it's high academic rep. The parent community is warm and inviting and can do! We love the faculty and staff. The new head of school is a leader in education who is a joy to know.
- Posted by Parent - kswan
This school is a gem. It's a competitive school with heart, soul and strong academics. We are very very happy.
- Posted by Parent - lldv
July 16, 2018
As you’ve been doing your boarding school research, you’ve likely seen ISEE/SSAT score submission requirements for your target schools, and understand how important scores are to the admissions process. Unfortunately, tremendous candidates can get bypassed because they were not able to demonstrate what they knew on test day.
July 13, 2018
Schools for the artistically gifted child are in short supply.
June 26, 2018
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.