Founded in 1964 our "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence" has a dedicated faculty and staff who are strongly committed to academic excellence built on sound contemporary pedagogy appropriate to each discipline.
Both parents/guardians and faculty/staff prepare students for life-long learning by providing a college preparatory curriculum, as well as opportunities in life skills.
Further, the school provides opportunities to enhance the moral and intellectual development of each student by offering a variety of co-curricular activities that embrace the importance of cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic diversity and that promote spiritual growth. Saint Joseph High School acknowledges the dignity, value and uniqueness of each student.
The school is committed to enabling each young woman to become "all of which woman is capable" and to view herself as a positive force that contributes to the global community in "a spirit of excellence, tempered by gentleness, peace and joy.".
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 523 students
- Yearly Tuition: $9,042
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Summer School Offered
Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2002
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 50%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Drawing and Painting, English Language, Englsih Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French, Government, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History
Classroom Dress Code
Uniform skirt, blouse, sweater, vest,
Uniform skirt, blouse, sweater, vest,
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
$9691 - Regular Rate$12,500 - International Student Rate
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Ms. Elise Severson
Mrs. Nancy Swartout
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International, Art Club, Book Club, Choir, Color Guard / Winter Guard, CSF - California Scholarship Federation, CSJ Circle, Dance Club, Design and Broadcasting Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneur Club, Environmental/Science Club, Film, Fitness Club, Food Club, French Club, French Honor Society, GAA - Girls' Athletic Association, Game Club, Handbells, HOPE Club (Helping Other People Everywhere), International Club, Italian Club, JAM (Japanese Animation Club), Junior Statesmen of America - Speech/Debate, Kiwins, Marching Band/Drumline (w/St. John Bosco), Model United Nations, Music Club, NHS - National Honor Society, PCN, Peer Helping, Percussion, Red Cross, SJ Press, Society of Women Engineers, Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Saint Joseph High School welcomes international students to join our school community. Students from China, South Korea, and Vietnam are currently enrolled. Our faculty and staff understand the unique challenges these young ladies face and are committed to their academic success. Our college counselors work closely with international students to insure they are on track for meeting all California State, UC and private school requirements. Upon graduation international students are overwhelmingly accepted to the universities/colleges of their choice.
- We are a day school located in the southern part of Los Angeles county in the city of Lakewood.
- Application Process/Timeline
- An applicant must submit the following to begin the application process:
- A SJHS application with the non-refundable $250.00 fee.
- A copy of the student’s official transcripts (3 years) and two recommendations.
- Transcripts and recommendations must be translated to English prior to submission.
- Discipline and attendance record (3 years).
- A copy of the student's passport
- Two Recommendations - (one must be from an English instructor)
- For additional questions, please contact Mrs. Nancy Swartout, International Student Coordinator at email@example.com
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does St. Joseph High School cost?
St. Joseph High School's tuition is approximately $9,042 for private students.
What sports does St. Joseph High School offer?
St. Joseph High School offers 14 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Water Polo. St. Joseph High School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in California for most sports offered.
What is St. Joseph High School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for St. Joseph High School?
The application deadline for St. Joseph High School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse St. Joseph High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
The Evolution of Early Reading Strategies for Children
Explore the journey of early reading strategies from the 17th century to the present day, uncovering the evolution of tools, methods, and technologies that have shaped how children learn to read. This article delves into the historical milestones and contemporary approaches that offer a fascinating look at literacy development in children.
The Evolution of School Choice: A Focus on Vouchers
Explore the history and evolution of school choice, focusing on vouchers. This article provides an in-depth analysis of vouchers' origins, growth, benefits, and criticisms as part of the broader school choice movement, along with a look at current trends and future outlook.
August 11, 2023Admissions Matters: Following Up, The Competition, & Deadlines
Navigating the complex landscape of private high school admissions requires expertise and insight. This article delves into essential areas that every school should master: inquiry follow-up, standing out in a competitive market, and choosing between rolling admissions and fixed admissions deadlines.