St. Joseph High School
Founded in 1964 our "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence" has a dedicated faculty and staff who are strongly committed to academic excellence built on sound contemporary pedagogy appropriate to each discipline.
Both parents/guardians and faculty/staff prepare students for life-long learning by providing a college preparatory curriculum, as well as opportunities in life skills.
Further, the school provides opportunities to enhance the moral and intellectual development of each student by offering a variety of co-curricular activities that embrace the importance of cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic diversity and that promote spiritual growth. Saint Joseph High School acknowledges the dignity, value and uniqueness of each student.
The school is committed to enabling each young woman to become "all of which woman is capable" and to view herself as a positive force that contributes to the global community in "a spirit of excellence, tempered by gentleness, peace and joy.".
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 565 students
- Yearly Tuition: $9,042
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Summer School Offered
Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2002
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Drawing and Painting, English Language, Englsih Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French, Government, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History
Classroom Dress Code
Uniform skirt, blouse, sweater, vest,
Uniform skirt, blouse, sweater, vest,
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
$9691 - Regular Rate$12,500 - International Student Rate
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Ms. Elise Severson
Mrs. Nancy Swartout
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International, Art Club, Book Club, Choir, Color Guard / Winter Guard, CSF - California Scholarship Federation, CSJ Circle, Dance Club, Design and Broadcasting Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneur Club, Environmental/Science Club, Film, Fitness Club, Food Club, French Club, French Honor Society, GAA - Girls' Athletic Association, Game Club, Handbells, HOPE Club (Helping Other People Everywhere), International Club, Italian Club, JAM (Japanese Animation Club), Junior Statesmen of America - Speech/Debate, Kiwins, Marching Band/Drumline (w/St. John Bosco), Model United Nations, Music Club, NHS - National Honor Society, PCN, Peer Helping, Percussion, Red Cross, SJ Press, Society of Women Engineers, Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Saint Joseph High School welcomes international students to join our school community. Students from China, South Korea, and Vietnam are currently enrolled. Our faculty and staff understand the unique challenges these young ladies face and are committed to their academic success. Our college counselors work closely with international students to insure they are on track for meeting all California State, UC and private school requirements. Upon graduation international students are overwhelmingly accepted to the universities/colleges of their choice.
- We are a day school located in the southern part of Los Angeles county in the city of Lakewood.
- Application Process/Timeline
- An applicant must submit the following to begin the application process:
- A SJHS application with the non-refundable $250.00 fee.
- A copy of the student’s official transcripts (3 years) and two recommendations.
- Transcripts and recommendations must be translated to English prior to submission.
- Discipline and attendance record (3 years).
- A copy of the student's passport
- Two Recommendations - (one must be from an English instructor)
- For additional questions, please contact Mrs. Nancy Swartout, International Student Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Verified school update
Endorse St. Joseph High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.