The Camphill School is a Waldorf school, as well as a Pennsylvania Approved Private School, for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
We are part of the worldwide Camphill movement and the only Camphill community in North America for children.
We offer boarding and day academic and prevocational programs, as well as therapeutic care, for children in kindergarten through grade twelve.
We also offer a Transition Program for young people ages eighteen to twenty-one.
The Camphill School's mission is to create wholeness for children and youth with developmental disabilities through education, extended family living, and therapy so that they may be better understood, they may more fully unfold their potential, and they may meaningfully participate in life.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-12
- Enrollment: 130 students
- Acceptance rate: 80%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 26%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
There are boarding and day rates. Some financial aid is available for private pay boarding students.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
- The Camphill School is a nonprofit Pennsylvania Approved Private School and Waldorf school that offers day and residential programs for children and youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities that may include, but are not restricted to, Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities (I/DD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD), Down Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS), Fragile X Syndrome, Williams Syndrome, and other syndromes associated with intellectual disability. The Camphill School is part of the worldwide Camphill Movement and the only Camphill community in North America for children, as well as the only Waldorf school in the country for children with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the acceptance rate of The Camphill School?
The acceptance rate of The Camphill School is 80%, which is lower than the national average of 86%.
When is the application deadline for The Camphill School?
The application deadline for The Camphill School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
The Camphill School is the only one of its kind on the entire continent of North America for developmentally and intellectually disabled school-aged students up until they turn 21 years. My daughter has started 9th grade and has been a residential student since she started six years ago. There is no place on earth where every single student is cherished and celebrated by such a loving international community of teachers, therapists, coworkers administrators, and other parents. The Camphill School is NOT just a special education school: it is an entire community of people who work altogether as one for the single purpose of each student to happily reach their fullest potential. Being a part of the Camphill School is life-changing for your student as well as yourself, and your family, and you will gain a whole new international extended family and support system as well.
Endorse The Camphill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.
Overview of State Voucher Programs in the United States
More than twelve states and the District of Columbia have education voucher programs. We describe the various programs and offer suggestions on how to use them so your child can attend private school.