The Sage School
5.00 (10 reviews)
Tel: (508) 543-9619
The Sage School Photo #3 - 2018 STEAM Expo at MIT's Microsoft NERD (New England Research and Development) Center at MIT in Cambridge, MA
- The Sage School is a private, independent school dedicated to providing an educational program that serves the needs of academically gifted students ages 3.2 to 14 in the greater Boston and Providence areas.
- The Sage School was founded under the basic premise that students should be permitted to learn at their instructional level with pace and depth matching their abilities, regardless of age.
- Since its inception, Sage has been dedicated to serving the educational needs of children who demonstrate verbal and quantitative abilities above chronological age expectations.
- It is well documented in research and practice that such students greatly benefit academically, socially, and emotionally from grouping practices that allow them to learn with their intellectual peers with appropriately challenging and engaging curriculum.
- Sage seeks to create a safe environment and a stimulating and engaging learning experience for our students that balances chronological, developmental, and social/emotional growth with development of the intellect to successfully educate the whole child.
- We also seek to prepare our students for success in secondary schools by honing their critical and independent thinking skills and helping them develop healthy work habits and task perseverance skills.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||155 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,000|
|Tuition Notes||2019-2020: Beginners and PK = $18,500 K - Grade 3 = $29,900 Grades 4 & 5 = $33,000 Grades 6 - 8 = $34,100|
|Admissions Director||Megan Fahey|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Downs|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Engineering, Learn Chinese, Middle School Musical, Model UN, Robotics Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
All Sport Program Afterschool
- The Sage School is a private, independent school dedicated to providing an educational program that serves the needs of academically gifted girls and boys ages 4 to 14 in the greater Boston and Providence areas. The Sage School was founded under the basic premise that students should be permitted to learn at their instructional level with pace and depth matching their abilities, regardless of age. Since its inception, Sage has been dedicated to serving the educational needs of children who demonstrate verbal and quantitative abilities above chronological age expectations. It is well-documented in research and practice that such students greatly benefit academically, socially, and emotionally from grouping practices that allow them to learn with their intellectual peers with appropriately challenging and engaging curriculum. Sage offers a rigorous academic program designed to match the academic instructional level, interests, and motivation of academically gifted students who may be beyond a typical age-defined curriculum. We seek to create a safe environment and a stimulating and engaging learning experience for our students that balances chronological, developmental, and social/emotional growth with development of the intellect to successfully educate the whole child. We also seek to prepare our students for success in secondary schools by honing their critical and independent thinking skills and helping them develop healthy work habits and task perseverance skills. The Sage School community strives to create a climate of excellence in all that we do.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Arlington Grades: PK-6 | 99 students
9 Westminster Ave
Arlington, MA 02474
(781) 643-5511 24.1 PK-6
- Belmont Grades: PK-8
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 484-3078 22 PK-8
The absolute best school I could ask for.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sage Student
As a student who has been going to the Sage School for 3 years now all I can say is how amazing this school is. When I first came to Sage everybody was so kind and it immediately felt like family. From this, there is such a positive learning space where bright children from Pre-K to 8th grade can build themselves to become someone in the world that will make a difference and make the world a better place. I love the Sage with all my heart and if you are looking for a wonderful place where you will know your child/ children will thrive intellectually and physically The Sage School is the place to go. -Isabella
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Isabella
Sage is a wonderful community of kind and dedicated individuals, from the Head of School through the faculty, staff, students, and parents. Sage adopts a thoughtful and dedicated approach in challenging each child and meeting the child where he/she is, as well as teaching each child to be a kind, socially aware, intellectually curious, driven, selfless citizen of the school community and the global community at large. We are so thankful that our children are able to attend this school.
- Posted by Parent - Grateful
My daughter just started attending Sage one month ago in the middle of the school year. While my husband and I knew that our daughter needed more than she was getting at her previous school we were also skeptical about moving her mid-year. Well we are glad we did, our daughter made a smooth transition and it is due to the open line of communication at Sage. From the admission office, to the teachers, it has been nothing but great. Our daughter comes home everyday with a smile on her face. The academic programs, the teachers and the facility is top notch. They have music, art, sports clubs, extracurricular activities. My husband and I have high expectations and we are confident that Sage is the right fit for our daughter.The cherys.
- Posted by Parent - Esther
We live quite far away and in one of the top school districts in Massachusetts, but our son takes the bus to Sage School because he's so happy there. Our favorite thing about Sage is that the students are all incredibly kind and friendly, and the student body is diverse, making the school a wonderful community and a safe place for kids of all kinds. Our son's IQ puts him in the profoundly gifted range, which means his social needs are as unique as his academic needs. Sage is a place where kids who love learning can fit in and be themselves. Our son has also benefited greatly from the oustanding arts department. He loves the many opportunities to be creative and more free in his thinking. Liz Woodbury is an absolute gem. Marie Leary, the head of school, is great. A highly intelligent and passionate leader - also very funny!
- Posted by Parent - Sagemom
We moved here from New York so that my son could attend Sage. He is having a wonderful experience and learning so much. The differentiated curriculum is stimulating, fun, engaging, and enriching and the faculty and staff could not be warmer or more supportive. If your son or daughter is a gifted learner, I highly recommend that you take a close look at Sage.
- Posted by Parent - Marlene M
Both of my children attend The Sage School. My son is in the 4th grade and my daughter is in the 1st. We have had the pleasure of being a "Sage" family for just about 6 years now (both children began in Pre-K which is now known as "The Little Scholars" program). Where do I begin? First of all, the Sage School really caters to the learning styles of each of my children. Academically, they are both bright and gifted in different ways. The teachers at The Sage School recognize that giftedness has many meanings/levels (i.e. each student possesses unique "gifts") and they are extremely accommodating. They are highly skilled and specialize in educating gifted students. The curriculum that is presented is always challenging and inspiring. As far as parent/teacher communication is concerned, the lines of communication are open on a regular basis. They are very responsive any time I have questions/concerns. The Music, Art, and Spanish programs are wonderful here at the Sage. My son came home asking for a guitar because he was learning to play the instrument in his music class. He has "Play" practice on Tuesdays as they will be performing the "Jungle Book" this spring! As far as Spanish goes, both of my Sage kids have been speaking/learning Spanish since Pre-K! My daughter loves to sing and is able to belt out her best notes in music class. My children are very happy at The Sage School. The confidence and solid academic foundation that The Sage School has instilled in my children is priceless. I can't imagine sending my children anywhere else!
- Posted by Parent - cdeol
Sage is the only established school/program for gifted students in Massachusetts. A great find for families in and around Boston -- we know, we''ve looked everywhere for a suitable fit for our child. There's busing for those from the Boston area. Nice families and student are both learning and happy.
- Posted by Parent - fishs
This is our 3rd year at Sage and it keeps getting better. Sage strives to better its STEAM capabilities. It has restructured the math, science, and computer science departments. It has a new STEAM department head who has a tremendous teaching/research/academic background. My child loves the new approach this year. The (relatively) new head of school has really ramped up the marketing and visibility of the school. Secondary schools do know the name Sage and attaches high expectations to it. We have the rest of this year and then next. I have high expectations. I am confident my child is getting an amazing education and is learning the hows and whys of learning, not just cramming for tests and such. We highly recommend it. However, it does fit a certain type of child/family, thus the admissions requirements.
- Posted by Parent - julie
I have had 2 children go through each division and it has changed their lives! The faculty are so engaged, caring and creative and the program is bar none! If you have a curious and bright child you need to check it out.
- Posted by Parent - Sageg
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.