The Woodward School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (617) 773-5610 Ext. 223
The Woodward School Photo #2 - "Teaching is the act of sharing the knowledge you have been given with the hope that someday in some way, it again will be passed on. " _ unknown
The Woodward School Photo #3 - All Girls: It's about the remarkable presence of girls, not the absence of boys.
The Woodward School Photo #4 - Our "Big Blue" Historic School House. State-of-the-art renovations include a new theater, student lounge, science labs and stem lab. The interior is a bit Harry Potter like, but we love the learning atmosphere.
The Woodward School Photo #6 - "Every child is an artist." - Pablo Picasso At Woodward, your schedule could include Art Class four times a week.
- Since 1894, Woodward has provided an independent, college preparatory program for girls in grades 6-12, that fosters a love of learning and serious instruction in the varied academic disciplines, the arts, and athletics.
- Woodward School seeks to enroll students and families who are committed to the academic mission of the School and who will be positive and engaged members of our community.
- We are proud of our history, the quality of our educational programs, and of the articulate, self-confident, and responsible citizens our students become.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||to be announced.|
|Total Students||71 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English, AP History, AP Physics, AP Spanish through VHS|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / Apr. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,500|
|Tuition Notes||International tuition $25,335|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, SoftballBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Animal Rights Club, Black Student Association, Environmental Club, LGBTQ Alliance, Theater Club, Theater Production, World Cultures Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Founded by Dr. Ebenezer and Mary Greenleaf Woodward in 1869, Woodward remains committed to educating young women in prepration for college and life as engaged, global citizens. Bridging three centuries, Woodward continues to provide an independent, college preparatory education in an academically challenging environment emphasizing the intellect, character, and personal potential. Woodward educates students from a rich diversity of backgrounds who are committed to advancing themselves and others, through hard work, high standards and service. We strive to provide an environment that fosters excellence in education and provides leadership opportunities. The academic program offers a classical curriculum, teaching knowledge, reason, problem solving, and creative and collaborative expression, to advance students in all disciplines. The program is enhanced by outstanding visual and performing arts, computer science and information technology, athletics and other extracurricular opportunities. Our low student- teacher ratio promotes individual growth and accomplishment, fosters close relationships between students and staff, and creates a dynamic atmosphere for learning. Every student is valued and respected, and Woodward students are expected to be thoughtful, compassionate and conscientious members of their communities. Woodward students, their families, teachers, administrators and staff, as well as our alumnae and trustees, are all partners in this educational enterprise. Our active and accomplished alumnae reflect the knowledge and confidence that results from being challenged to achieve their potential, and they are committed to supporting and mentoring our current student body.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Milton Grades: 9-12 | 258 students
930 Brook Road
Milton, MA 02186
(617) 615-3014 2.8 9-12
- Boston Grades: 5-12 | 471 students
103 Pilgrim Road
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 735-9503 7.9 5-12
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 1020 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617) 898-1798 3.3 K-12
The Woodward School has a tremendous impact on my family's life. As others have said, when your child attends you are part of a community. The small class sizes, and small school size are definitely an advantage but the attitude of the teachers and coaches is the key. They teach the students how to learn and how to act with integrity and ethics. They graduate with the skills, confidence, and knowledge to flourish in college and seamlessly transition to college level work and, in my child's case, ultimately law school.
- Posted by Parent - Michelle L.
I had a great experience at Woodward. I attended for 4 years, grades 9-12. The small class sizes and individual attention were trans formative. I went from being in regular gen-ed classes at public school to taking AP classes at Woodward and passing the exams for college credit. Almost all the students participate in extracurricular and the faculty and staff know every single girl by name. The individual attention students receive and close-knit environment are really unique.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - HW
It's not just the small class sizes but the quality of the education and the usage of the small class sizes that makes Woodward unique. At Woodward you are truly amongst your family. It is a sisterhood that spans beyond the walls. My classmates not only helped me achieve at Woodward but have been a great support system beyond that. My teachers were dedicated, encouraging and supportive individuals. The classical education provides a confidence in ones self and ones knowledge.During my time at Woodward I was a student-athlete (Soccer). Being a student-athlete really helped me to stay focused and organized and the motivation to not just be a good athlete but to be a good student from Coach G was invaluable. The heart of the school lies in teachers and Coaches like Coach G and there is no shortage of them. They do more than what a school requires of their teachers for students and even after being gone from Woodward for 15 years, I remain close to every single teacher who helped me to determine my career path and excel beyond the Woodward walls.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - TW