- The Academy is the Harrisburg area's flagship independent school, and is widely considered to be the best private school in Central Pennsylvania. We partner with families who value education as a priority in their family setting, seek an institution that encourages deep, authentic learning, and desire an alternative to public and religious school offerings for their child. Currently, our student body draws from 25 school districts and eight counties in the midstate, representing families of all socioeconomic, racial, religious, and geographic backgrounds. With a strong, college preparatory-focused liberal arts program, we provide a rigorous core curriculum of "reading, writing, and arithmetic," science, the arts, and technology; but we also incorporate 21st century learning strategies and innovation into our students' experience. Our institution may be 232 years old, but we operate as a forward-thinking school of the future.
Harrisburg Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||364 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||IB Biology HL, IB Chemistry SL, IB Computer Science SL/HL, IB English SL/HL, IB French SL, IB History of the Americas HL, IB Information Technology in a Global Society SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Mathematics Studies SL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Physics SL/HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Spanish ab initio SL, IB Spanish SL, IB Theory of Knowledge, IB Visual Arts SL/HL,|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Academy logoed collared shirts, denim on Friday, see dress code posted on website)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by division and grade level ($10,000 to $18,000)|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jessica A. Warren|
|Admissions Associate||Miranda Connelly|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||A Cappella Choir, Band, Chorus, Diversity Club, Drama, Environmental Associates, Judicial Council, Mock Trial, Model UN, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Orchestra, Quiz Bowl, Student Council, Technology Club, Yearbook|
Arts and Music Programs:
- Harrisburg Academy is located just one mile west of the Susquehanna River in Wormleysburg/Lemoyne. Our student body hails from a seven-county area (Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Perry, Lancaster, Lebanon & York counties). School buses arrive daily from 12 public school districts; families carpool from an additional 16 school districts. Additionally, the Academy provides transportation to and from the Hershey and Carlisle areas. The selection of a school is an important and sometimes difficult decision for families. Here at the Academy, we aim to provide an open and friendly admissions process that will encourage a thoughtful, mutual exploration of interests and philosophies. We encourage you to review our website to learn more about the Academy as a school community and about our admission process. Since 1784, Harrisburg Academy has helped students to discover their inner strengths and to develop their abilities in all areas. As the area's only co-educational, preschool through 12th grade independent school, we aspire to set a standard for academic excellence and to be an educational leader in Central Pennsylvania. Our faculty works relentlessly to discover the best new technologies, methodologies, and practices to incorporate into their classrooms. We succeed because we focus, universally, on what we do best animating our core values to prepare our students to face the remarkable challenges of a global society.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Harrisburg Grades: PK-12 | 70 students
727 Wilhelm Rd
Harrisburg, PA 17111
(717)564-6700 4.6 PK-12
- Allentown Grades: NS-8 | 288 students
1100 S 24th St
Allentown, PA 18103
(610)433-4542 77.6 NS-8
- Bryn Mawr Grades: PK-12 | 575 students
701 Montgomery Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
(610)525-2700 86 PK-12
We chose the Academy for its college prep focus and lack of religious affiliation, and we are so happy with the choice for our middle school student. The small class sizes and welcoming K-12 community are great. He is being challenged and engaged with foreign languages, math, history, drama, literature and writing, and science. The school is always striving to be even better--this fall brought a new eighth grade science curriculum, music suite, and fencing club. And he is happy to go to school every day.
- Posted by Parent - kr
The teachers are excellent, extremely caring, and appreciate the uniqueness of each student. The same can be said for the school's administrators and principals - their commitment to educating the whole child is clear with every decision, every newsletter, and every event. The curriculum is challenging and also highly rewarding, and the importance of including classes in music, art, foreign languages (including Latin), gym, and computers is never overlooked. Numerous extracurricular activities are offered, from sports to science clubs to drama to Model United Nations - there is truly much to be gained for any child that attends this school.
- Posted by Parent - mlmic
The academic program really seem to push the kids and get them well ready for college. Music and Art programs are very strong and my son loves gym every day. Spanish teacher is 2nd to none. I love the small class size (around 16) and the staff is great to deal with when you have any concerns. I''m happy to see what they are offered for lunch and to drink. Not what's quick, easy or popular, healthy wins out.
- Posted by Parent - rn
The benefits of a Harrisburg Academy education are too numerous for one note - art, Spanish, band, & orchestra to name a few. It is this type of education that enables a well-rounded mind and attitude, which is a necessity in a shrinking global economy and world. We also love the smaller class size and the attention that each student receives, allowing a student-teacher relationship that focuses on growing each individual student and not just teaching to a test.
- Posted by Parent - dan_s
We chose Harrisburg Academy for the small class size and diversity among the student body. The rigorous academics challenge them and the individual attention available from their amazing teachers helps them succeed. Our children are very involved in the Music and Theater programs at the school. The small school size offers more opportunity to participate. We love the culture of the school, one that fosters community involvement and encourages volunteerism.
- Posted by Parent - starr
I continue to be impressed -even after four years now- with the level of intensity and passion the teachers, faculty, and parents all put forth toward making the Academy more than a school. It is a community of both academic and social students, of adults and young alike that are all striving to be more than just part of this world, but to make the world and themselves better, more involved, more accountable. I am honored that my daughter can be a part of this Academy Family.
- Posted by Parent - Pjlof