- Houghton Academy is a Christian, college-prep boarding and day school enrolling students in grades 7 - 12.
- John Nelson, Head of School, describes our program as having a three-fold emphasis on head, heart and hands.
- We seek to supply core knowledge, allow knowledge to be informed by faith, and then encourage students to put their knowledge and faith into action.
- To that end, we offer more than academic coursework.
- We encourage our students to get involved in sports or music or drama or art or publishing as we believe that good education should encompass more than just books and information.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||113 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Microeconomics, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP United States Government and Politics, AP United States History, College Christian Apologetics (dual credit), College Literary Studies (dual credit), College Writing (dual credit), Introduction to Christian Theology (dual credit), Oral Interpretation and Drama (dual credit), Principles of Management (dual credit)|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 10 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Day Tuition & Fees: $7,250 US Boarding Tution, Room and Board, & Fees: $31,080 International Boarding Tuition, Room and Board, & Fees: $33,440|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Scott Frazier|
|Admissions Associate||Sandy Merrill|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Badminton, Band, Choir, Community Service Club, Drama, Handbell Choir, National Honor Society, Ski/Snowboarding Club, Student Senate, Worship Team, Yearbook Clu|
- Established in 1883, Houghton Academy has a long history of successfully preparing students for the challenges of college and of life. Comprised of both boarding students and day students, a Houghton education is based on Christian philosophy of education. The faculty and staff at Houghton Academy are committed to serving as positive adult role-models for our students.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- YorkshireGrades: KG-12 | 111 students
Po Box 599
Yorkshire, NY 14173
- WellsvilleGrades: PK-8 | 163 students
24 Maple Ave
Wellsville, NY 14895
January 17, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.