Riverdale High School
- Riverdale offers an exceptional college-preparatory education that is personalized, learner-centered and academically rigorous.
- It is a unique school, technically a public high school, yet one that attracts two-thirds of its student body from out-of-district on a tuition or inter-district transfer basis.
- Riverdale competes very successfully against the area private schools based on its strong academic programs, personalized approach, and ability for students to participate in a wide range of activities - leading to graduates who not only gain admittance to the colleges and universities of their choice, but do well once there.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||241 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Advanced Courses||All courses offer Honors options|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,950|
|Tuition Notes||Some financial assistance is available|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Hilary Chandler|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Basketball,
Cross Country, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Decathalon, Band, Bridge Building, Chess Club, Choir, Community Service, Drama/Musicals, Film Club, GSA, Girl Up Club, Green Club, Jewish Culture Club, Leaders in Nurturing Kindness, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Oregon Battle of the Books, Robotics, Science Bowl, Yearbook Band, Chess Club, Choir, Drama/Musicals, Film Club, GSA, Girl Up Club, Green Club, Mock Trial, Robotics, Science Bowl, Yearbook, Academic Decathalon,
Jewish Culture Club,
Leaders in Nurturing Kindness,
Model United Nations,
National Honor Society,
Oregon Battle of the Books,
- Imagine a public high school so attractive that two-thirds of its students come from outside its small district boundaries, paying close to $12,000 a year to attend. A public high school that has to compete even for its own resident students, who have access to Portland area private schools and an adjoining district's large traditional high schools.
- Imagine a high school from which students graduate with four more credits than the state requires -- including eight additional classes in the core subjects of English, Math, Science, History and Art, plus at least four foreign language courses and a year-long Senior Exhibition many compare to a college thesis.
- Imagine a high school where close to 100 percent of its graduates go on to four-year colleges, including some of the most impressive schools in the country.
- Imagine a high school that offers an Honors Curriculum within each class section, challenging those who want it, but not isolating students from each other. In so doing, the school builds an inclusive social fabric as strong as its academic standing.
- Imagine a high school with a curriculum so rigorous that without AP-specific classes students are prepared to succeed in a wide variety of AP exams, which the school proctors. A school in which students can earn up to 53 college credits taught on campus by the high school's instructors.
- Imagine a high school where there are a wide variety of activities: athletic teams, drama, music, Mock Trial, Bridge Building (state champions 2005-2015, plus numerous international wins) -- where everyone is encouraged to participate rather than spectate.
- Imagine a high school built on these ideas that grew in its first 10 years from 30 students to approximately 250.
- That school is Riverdale High School in Portland, OR.
Profile last updated: 11/30/2015