St. Joseph's Preparatory School
The mission of Saint Joseph's Prep as a Catholic, Jesuit, urban, college preparatory school is to develop the minds, hearts, souls, and characters of young men in their pursuit of becoming men for and with others.
- Top Ranked PA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 885 students
- Yearly Tuition: $25,100
- Average class size: 26 students
- Application Deadline: Nov. 6
St. Joseph's Preparatory School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 25%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(Coat & Tie)
(Coat & Tie)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
Average Financial Aid Grant
Mr. Howie Brown '99
Mr. Brian McCloskey '91
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Asian Culture, Band, Black and Latino Culture Club, Cape and Sword Drama Society, Chess, Christus Choir, Classics, Community Service Corps, Computers, Environmental Action, Forensics, Intramurals, Italian Culture Club, Juggling, Language, Library, Martial Arts, Mathletes, Mock Trial, Model UN/OAS, National Honor Society, Philosophy Discussion, Photography, Respect Life, Retreats, Robotics, Science, Spirit, Student Council, Student Literary Magazine, Student Newspaper, Students Against Destructive Decisions
- In order to graduate from Saint Joseph's Preparatory School, a student must earn a minimum of 26 academic credits as outlined below, satisfy the State of Pennsylvania requirement for physical education and fulfill community service requirements through our Ignatian Service Program.
- Once students pass the basic course requirements, they are encouraged to expand on their achievements through Advanced Placement courses and explore an exciting range of electives. Students interested in language and literature may choose from Courses like Personal Writing, Censorship, or Elements of Drama. Journalism students produce their own newspaper, The Nose, in cooperation with The Philadelphia Inquirer. Students serious about science may choose to expand their computer expertise, take Advanced Placement courses, or experience field research in an Environmental Science class. Elective art courses include sculpture, painting, ceramics and illustration.
- Advanced Placement courses are offered in 15 areas of study including history, English, science, Latin, mathematics, computer science and psychology. Many of The Prep's AP students receive college credit as a result of their performance in the Advanced Placement Examinations.
- Honors courses are offered in 19 areas of study including modern language, mathematics, classics, and science.
Profile last updated: 02/16/2021
Endorse St. Joseph's Preparatory School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.
Should You Send Your Child to Private Primary or High School?
If you had to choose when to send your child to private school, would you send her to private school for the primary grades or high school?
SAT test prep takes time to do properly. We explore some of your options here.