International School of Los Angeles - Lycee International (LILA) - West Valley Campus
5.00 (4 reviews)
International School of Los Angeles - Lycee International (LILA) - West Valley Campus Photo #2 - All LILA students and teachers have access to personal iPads and SmartBoards and accompanying computers. Our administrative and academic personnel are passionate about keeping our school at the forefront of cutting-edge academic methods. Recently, Campus Director Mehdi Lazar published an article on technology in the classroom. http://www.latribune.fr/blogs/la-tribune-des-expats/20130923trib000786575/la-classe-inversee-une-piste-d-avenir-pour-la-france-.html#!
International School of Los Angeles - Lycee International (LILA) - West Valley Campus Photo #3 - LILA is accredited by the French Ministry of Education, as well as the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) in Geneva, Switzerland. Every campus has their own Academic team to oversee the campus curriculum and the many related activities.
- The International School of Los Angeles is an international preschool through 12th grade bilingual school that offers an English and French curriculum.
- All students study a common bilingual program from preschool through 9th grade after which they have a choice between the rigorous and well-balanced French Baccalaurat and International Baccalaureate Diploma programs.
- In 2015, The Washington Post listed the School as the nation`s 12th most challenging private high school.
- With five Los Angeles-area campuses (Burbank, Los Feliz, Orange County, Pasadena, and West Valley), and over one thousand students, the School holds triple accreditation from the French Ministry of Education, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). The International School of Los Angels is committed to academic excellence in a nurturing and intimate environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity and curiosity, and to preparing students of all backgrounds to excel and contribute to a global world.
- Since 1978, the School has been instilling the love of learning in all its students through small classes and low student-to-teacher ratios.
- With over 50 nationalities and 39 spoken languages represented on the campuses, students study and live in a diverse global community every day.
International School of Los Angeles - Lycee International (LILA) - West Valley Campus places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Sports offered Most sports offered
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools|
Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||133 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,150|
|Tuition Notes||This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Juliette Lange|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Flag Football, Paddle Tennis, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBallet, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Dance, Flag Football,
Paddle Tennis, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||art, baseball, basketball, chess, cross country, dance, music, Soccer, track and field, yoga|
- The School's core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- The International School of Los Angeles teaches a bilingual immersion program from Preschool through 12th grade where students study subjects in both English and French. The School follows the French Ministry of Education's academic program in a bilingual context. Teachers in each language are native speakers and the percentage of each language of instruction varies at each grade level. Beginning in Preschool, French is not simply a subject but also the language of instruction. English increases as the grade levels move up.
- Two teachers are assigned to every class, one a native French speaker and the other, a native English speaker, in order to support all students: the School believes that ALL students should be supported to their full potential.
- Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, the School aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. We aim to instill the love of learning in all our students.
- The vast majority of the School's teachers hold Master`s or Ph.D teaching credentials, and at the minimum, hold a Bachelor`s degree. The core of the school`s faculty is French by nationality and/or origin; most teachers have been trained in France and are certified by the French Ministry of Education`s rigorous credentialing regulations. English is taught by well qualified native speakers.
- Because our children and teachers come from many nations (50 nationalities are represented on our campuses, with 39 languages), we stress social studies and the concept that we are all citizens of one world. Our small, nurturing classes and small student-to-teacher ratios facilitate this.
- 5 campuses: Los Feliz (Prek-5th) - West Valley:Tarzana (Preschool-5th) - Pasadena (Preschool-5th) - Orange (Preschool-8th) - Burbank (6th-12th)
- Shuttles are provided for students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses to the Burbank campus secondary school.
- Each campus has its own director, staff, community and personality, but they all share the School's outstanding international education and commitment to a full immersion bilingual program.
- In addition to receiving the U.S. High School Diploma, ALL high school students take one of two programs: the IB Diploma or the French Baccalaurat. All subjects in both Baccalaureate programs are considered pre-college and advanced level, and are highly regarded by University Admissions personnel. The International School of Los Angeles further requires students in both programs to fulfill 150 hours of community service as part of their roles as world citizens.
- Grads who complete the entire school program are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at LILA have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Encino Grades: PK-5 | 73 students
17719 Palora Street
Encino, CA 91316
(818)342-4905 1.9 PK-5
I have two children at this school and LOVE it. My son (a 4th grader) is so interesting to talk to. His nearly seven years at this school has truly affected him. His insight into the use of language, his exposure to French culture and his curiosity about the world has made him knowledgeable, empathetic with a charming sense of humour. My daughter is thriving in Kindergarten and I can't wait to watch her blossom in this unique way.
- Posted by Parent - young
We have twins in 1st grade at LILA West Valley and could not be happier. The benefits of bilingual education are widely known (brawnier brains, superior self-regulation, delayed dementia, etc... Google "benefits of bilingual education" for more), and LILA provides that. Additionally, LILA's highly individualized program imbues students with a sense of confidence and healthy autonomy, as well as a broad worldview, which can be tough to achieve in Los Angeles. The fact that the kids can stay at LILA through 12th grade (transferring to the new, larger Burbank campus for middle and high school) is an added bonus, especially as we see friends going through the private school admissions process for middle and high school. Regardless of what language you speak at home or where you are from, if you want your children to be curious, confident, proud citizens of the WORLD, consider LILA.
- Posted by Parent - jodis
We started our son at LILA West Valley campus when he was 2 years old and we are so happy to see how the school has really helped him blossom into a confident young man who is trilingual. The program is very impressive and the teachers are very highly qualified. The other thing we really love about this school is the cultural diversity and the international community it offers. The integration of the French and English program gives you the best of both worlds!
- Posted by Parent - spark
great school, great staff and teachers --warm, personal, academically rigorous, installs joy in learning, multicultural!
- Posted by Parent - missp
Nearby Homes for Sale
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.