The Blake School/Upper School
Tel: (952) 988-3420
The Blake School/Upper School Photo #2 - Blakes' program is academically rigorous, emphasizing thoughtful inquiry, creative problem-solving and disciplined habits of mind.
The Blake School/Upper School Photo #3 - Arts coursework includes at least four semesters of electives in theatre, speech and debate, visual arts, music and athletics.
The Blake School/Upper School Photo #4 - Required courses are challenging and thought-provoking. Electives explore specialized topics in depth, and Advanced Placement courses are offered in all core subjects.
The Blake School/Upper School Photo #5 - All students play on an athletic team for at least one season in grade nine and in grade ten.
The Blake School/Upper School Photo #6 - A typical course of study in the core subjects includes intensive coursework in English language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and languages.
- Founded in 1900, The Blake School is an independent, coeducational day school (pre-k-12) with campuses in Minneapolis, Hopkins and Wayzata.
- Blake provides a strong liberal arts education with a challenging curriculum that integrates academics, arts and athletics.
- Over 1,367 students attend Blake, coming from 59 Twin Cities' communities.
- Tuition: $18,135 - $32,895 Financial Aid: $7.8 million in need-based aid awarded annually to 23 percent of the student body
The Blake School/Upper School places among the top 20% of private schools in Minnesota for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Blake offers an array of PK-12 academic, artistic, athletic and day camp options. Program costs vary by camp and program.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||1,366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||137 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Chinese, English Literature, European History, French, Latin: Vergil and Caesar, Physics (three courses), Spanish, Statistics, Studio Art|
|Average SAT score||1395|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by grade. Blake annually awards 7.8 million dollars in need-based financial aid to 23 percent of the student body. See web site for tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joe Silvestri|
|Admissions Associate||Lynn Loew|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Admissions Ambassadors, Anime Club, Assembly Moderators, Asset Management Group, Badminton Club, Bee Club, Blood Drive Committee, Chess Team, DECA, Drawing at Dawn, Empty Bowls, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Girl Up, Green Team, Habitat for Humanity, LearningWorks, Math Team, Model United Nations, Robotics, Science Bowl, Science Olympiad, She's the First, Slam Poetry Club, Stock Exchange Club, Student Newspaper, We Charity
- The Blake School is a pre-kindergarten-grade 12, independent day school with a national reputation for academics. Its comprehensive, rigorous curriculum prepares students to advance to the most selective colleges and universities. Students strive for excellence in athletics and the arts and are committed to improving their local and global community. Small classes of diverse students are united by innate curiosity. Students encounter thoughtfully prepared curriculum along with abundant opportunities for travel, service, sports and artistic endeavors while developing habits of mind that enable them to think critically, solve problems, empathize, create and make our world better.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-12 | 1164 students
123 Ottawa Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55422
(763) 381-8217 2.4 PK-12
- Minneapolis Grades: PK-8 | 246 students
2344 Nicollet Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404
(612) 767-1550 1 PK-8
- Eden Prairie Grades: PK-12 | 317 students
6385 Beach Rd
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
(952) 918-1835 9.2 PK-12
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.