5.00 (4 reviews)
- Established in 2005, Gateway Academy is the only not for profit private day school in the State of Arizona specializing in a pure population of students, who are Twice-Exceptional (academically bright with Asperger's Syndrome)
- We specialize in working with students, who are very complicated, and require an evironment that makes them feel safe, heard, and supported.
- Our intent is to deliver the highest level of education and care according to individual needs within a safe, positive, and structured environment, where every student can achieve the best possible outcome, in order to offer a complete integration of education, socialization, and therapy, Gateway Academy has its own individual qualities that are unique.
Gateway Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Arizona for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Any difference requiring differentiated education.|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Cost varies according to the type of Summer Program.|
|Total Students||125 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 38%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,800|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes: Occupational Therapy; Speech and Language Therapy, Equine Therapy, Music Therapy, Digital & Instrumental Music, Relationship Based Program|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Max McFadden|
|Admissions Associate||O. Robin Sweet|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Country, Equestrian, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts, Soccer, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBasketball, Bowling,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Flag Football,
Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts,
Soccer, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Chess Club Club, Competitive Gaming Club, Drama Club, Engineering & Inventions Club, Geek Squad, Jigsaw Puzzle Club, Movie & Music Club, Nerf Wars & Retro Club, Virtual Reality Club
Arts and Music Programs:
After School Rock Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The program at Gateway Academy is rooted in our mission and educational philosophy. What we learn, how we learn, what we value, and how we live in a community are vital questions as we seek to educate the mind, body, spirit, and character of our students. This unique approach weaves academics, wellness, and activities into a cohesive curriculum that emphasizes the practice of social skills as the link connecting each student to the school community. At Gateway, we believe that a safe and supportive environment is the best foundation for academic and personal growth. It is important that each of us develops the skills and habits to create and maintain this community. It is just as important that the community respect and nurture each individual. Our Honor Code provides the philosophical foundation for our community. Throughout our curriculum, we discuss and build skills in conflict resolution, collaboration, and group dynamics. This gives us a common language and shared expectations that shape our behavior for life. Students come to Gateway Academy seeking a different approach to learning, often because they have been frustrated in their previous school experiences. Our intent is to rebuild self-esteem, rekindle curiosity, and encourage the risk-taking necessary for learning. Our belief is that no single method of instruction is effective for every student. Instead, we must evaluate teaching strategies and match them with each student`s individual learning style. Education is more than memorization of basic facts and preparation for tests. While many of our students have a strong rote memory, recall alone is not sufficient to function well in school or in life. Similarly, advanced reading decoding skills must be supported with strong comprehension skills. Learning begins with identifying, organizing, and evaluating relevant information. Then, we ask our students to take the important next step to apply what they have learned, encouraging them to solve problems and face challenges with creativity and confidence.
- Gateway Academy offers students an academic curriculum that is challenging and structured; rich in its academic offerings, and nurturing in its approach to fostering personal growth, responsibility, and independence. The Gateway community: students, faculty, staff, and families, alike, work collaboratively to help students discover and develop their individual gifts and strengths, become self-advocates, and realize their full potential. A safe, thoughtfully prepared sensory sensitive environment encourages mutual trust, respect, and acceptance among those in its school community.
- Gateway Academy was founded in 2005 by O. Robin Sweet and Dr. Thomas Bloom, as a 501c3 not for profit corporation. We are an approved K-12th Grade Private Day School by the Arizona Department of Education. AdvancEd accredited. SEVIS approved for accepting International Students. School of Excellence awarded 2006-Present by the National Association of Special Education Teachers. Chapter of the National Honor Society. International affiliation with Jolly Nobel Chinese Exchange Program. School Choice Leadership Award 2016. National School Choice Proclamations from Governor Doug Ducey and Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Phoenix Grades: K-12 | 206 students
10251 N 35th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85051
(602)995-7366 7.9 K-12
- Phoenix Grades: K-8 | 30 students
3427 E Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(866)620-9380 4 K-8
- Gilbert Grades: K-12 | 37 students
875 S Cooper Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85233
(480)456-0942 20.4 K-12
As I moved into my ASU dorm the other day, I knew that I wouldn't have made it here without the support of my wonderful teachers, Mr. Chris, Mr. Curt, Mr. Max, Dr. Bloom, and Ms. Robin. Thank you for helping me reach my potential!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ET
I want to give kudos to all of you at Gateway. My son for the first time in 5 years is telling people that he likes school again and is no longer asking me if he "has" to go. When asked about the school by several people including one of his doctors just this past Wednesday, he said he really liked this school. When asked to elaborate my son said the new school was fun and gave full credit to his teachers for making it that way in every subject! He is super excited about the Nerf Club and the opportunity to take Japanese, neither of which were available at his previous schools. Being freed from stressful hours of homework each evening has had a huge impact on our entire family. We are able to spend more quality time with him during the week and he now has had time to have sleepovers on the weekends instead of constantly trying to play catch up from the classwork he was unable to complete throughout the week. You all are making an amazing impact on our lives and I can't thank you guys enough. I hope that you will share this email with your coworkers. Please keep up the good work and don't hesitate to let me know if you need us to assist you in any way.
- Posted by Parent - EJ
I hope you are having a good year so far. I have been doing very well in school and I am also enjoying most of my classes. And in this school, we have SRC which stands for Student Representative Council. I won the position as Social Director and my role in the school is to arrange school parties, events, and social gatherings. I am very excited about this role and I start this upcoming term. I have learned so much from Gateway and Spectrum and I thank you both very much for teaching and taking care of me. Everything I have learned I have applied to my everyday living and look at me now. In my opinion, I am an example of the success you can achieve by applying the tools and strategies you have taught us.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Andrew Durgan
I just want you to know that Gateway Academy has my heart. Watching how much Amber has grown makes my heart sing. With the love and support of her wonderful parents and Gateway, I believe we have so much hope for her to be independent someday. I love Amber with all my heart and will do anything I can to help her. Thank you again for all you at Gateway do. Grandma Linda
- Posted by Parent - Grandma Linda
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.