- Established in 2005, Gateway Academy is the only not for profit private day school in the State of Arizona specializing in a pure population of students, who are Twice-Exceptional (academically bright with Asperger's Syndrome)
- We specialize in working with students, who are very complicated, and require an evironment that makes them feel safe, heard, and supported.
- Our intent is to deliver the highest level of education and care according to individual needs within a safe, positive, and structured environment, where every student can achieve the best possible outcome, in order to offer a complete integration of education, socialization, and therapy, Gateway Academy has its own individual qualities that are unique.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Any difference requiring differentiated education.|
|Total Students||73 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes: Occupational Therapy; Speech and Language Therapy, Equine Therapy, Music Therapy, Digital & Instrumental Music|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||O. Robin Sweet/Max McFadden|
|Admissions Associate||Matt Drowne Dir of Education|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Country, Equestrian, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Track and Field, Winter TrackBasketball, Bowling,
Climbing, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Flag Football,
Indoor Soccer, Soccer,
Track and Field, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Rock Band, Chess Club Club, Culinary Club, Drama Club, Explorers Club, Art Club, Photography Club,, Unified Sports Unified Sports, After School Rock Band,
Chess Club Club,
Culinary Club, Drama Club, Explorers Club, Art Club, Photography Club,,
- The program at Gateway Academy is rooted in our mission and educational philosophy. What we learn, how we learn, what we value, and how we live in a community are vital questions as we seek to educate the mind, body, spirit, and character of our students. This unique approach weaves academics, wellness, and activities into a cohesive curriculum that emphasizes the practice of social skills as the link connecting each student to the school community. At Gateway, we believe that a safe and supportive environment is the best foundation for academic and personal growth. It is important that each of us develops the skills and habits to create and maintain this community. It is just as important that the community respect and nurture each individual. Our Honor Code provides the philosophical foundation for our community. Throughout our curriculum, we discuss and build skills in conflict resolution, collaboration, and group dynamics. This gives us a common language and shared expectations that shape our behavior for life. Students come to Gateway Academy seeking a different approach to learning, often because they have been frustrated in their previous school experiences. Our intent is to rebuild self-esteem, rekindle curiosity, and encourage the risk-taking necessary for learning. Our belief is that no single method of instruction is effective for every student. Instead, we must evaluate teaching strategies and match them with each student`s individual learning style. Education is more than memorization of basic facts and preparation for tests. While many of our students have a strong rote memory, recall alone is not sufficient to function well in school or in life. Similarly, advanced reading decoding skills must be supported with strong comprehension skills. Learning begins with identifying, organizing, and evaluating relevant information. Then, we ask our students to take the important next step to apply what they have learned, encouraging them to solve problems and face challenges with creativity and confidence.
- Gateway Academy offers students an academic curriculum that is challenging and structured; rich in its academic offerings, and nurturing in its approach to fostering personal growth, responsibility, and independence. The Gateway community: students, faculty, staff, and families, alike, work collaboratively to help students discover and develop their individual gifts and strengths, become self-advocates, and realize their full potential. A safe, thoughtfully prepared sensory sensitive environment encourages mutual trust, respect, and acceptance among those in its school community.
- Gateway Academy was founded in 2005 by O. Robin Sweet and Dr. Thomas Bloom, as a 501c3 not for profit corporation. We are an approved K-12th Grade Private Day School by the Arizona Department of Education. AdvancEd accredited. SEVIS approved for accepting International Students. School of Excellence awarded 2006-Present by the National Association of Special Education Teachers. Chapter of the National Honor Society. International affiliation with Jolly Nobel Chinese Exchange Program. School Choice Leadership Award 2016. National School Choice Proclamations from Governor Doug Ducey and Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PhoenixGrades: K-12 | 263 students
10251 N 35th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85051
PhoenixGrades: K-8 | 36 students
22415 N 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85024
GilbertGrades: K-12 | 184 students
875 S Cooper Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85233
PhoenixGrades: PK-12 | 175 students
2020 E Baseline Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85042
PhoenixGrades: K-12 | 203 students
5048 East Oak Street
Phoenix, AZ 85008
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.