International School Of Los Angeles - Los Feliz
The International School of Los Angeles is an international preschool through 12th grade bilingual school that offers an English and French curriculum.
All students study a common bilingual program from preschool through 9th grade after which they have a choice between the rigorous and well-balanced French Baccalaurat and International Baccalaureate Diploma programs.
In 2015, The Washington Post listed the School as the nation`s 12th most challenging private high school.
With five Los Angeles-area campuses (Burbank, Los Feliz, Orange County, Pasadena, and West Valley), and over one thousand students, the School holds triple accreditation from the French Ministry of Education, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
The International School of Los Angeles is committed to academic excellence in a nurturing and intimate environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity and curiosity, and to preparing students of all backgrounds to excel and contribute to a global world.
Since 1978, the School has been instilling the love of learning in all its students through small classes and low student-to-teacher ratios.
With over 50 nationalities and 39 spoken languages represented on the campuses, students study and live in a diverse global community every day.
International School Of Los Angeles - Los Feliz ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(School dress code enforced)
(School dress code enforced)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Art, Band, Baseball, Basketball, Chess, Choir, Cross Country, Dance, Music, Soccer, Volleyball, Yoga
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The International School of Los Angeles' core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- The School teaches a bilingual immersion program from Preschool through 12th grade where students study subjects in both English and French. LILA follows the French Ministry of Education's academic program in a bilingual context. Teachers in each language are native speakers and the percentage of each language of instruction varies at each grade level. Beginning in Preschool, French is not simply a subject but also the language of instruction. English increases as the grade levels move up.
- Two teachers are assigned to every class, one a native French speaker and the other, a native English speaker, in order to support all students: the School believes that ALL students should be supported to their full potential.
- Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, the School aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. We aim to instill the love of learning in all our students.
- The vast majority of the International School of Los Angeles' teachers hold Master`s or Ph.D teaching credentials, and at the minimum, hold a Bachelor`s degree. The core of the school`s faculty is French by nationality and/or origin; most teachers have been trained in France and are certified by the French Ministry of Education`s rigorous credentialing regulations. English is taught by well qualified native speakers.
- Because our children and teachers come from many nations (50 nationalities are represented on our campuses, with 39 languages), we stress social studies and the concept that we are all citizens of one world. Our small, nurturing classes and small student-to-teacher ratios facilitate this.
- 5 campuses: Los Feliz (Prek-5th) - West Valley:Tarzana (Preschool-5th) - Pasadena (Preschool-5th) - Orange (Preschool-8th) - Burbank (6th-12th)
- Shuttles are provided for students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses to the Burbank campus secondary school.
- Each campus has its own director, academic team, staff, community and personality, but they all share the School`s outstanding international education and commitment to a full immersion bilingual program.
- In addition to receiving the U.S. High School Diploma, ALL International School of Los Angeles high school students take one of two programs: the IB Diploma or the French Baccalaurat. All subjects in both Baccalaureate programs are considered pre-college and advanced level, and are highly regarded by University Admissions personnel. The School further requires students in both programs to fulfill 150 hours of community service as part of their roles as world citizens.
- International School of Los Angeles grads who complete the entire school program are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at the School have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
We cannot say enough good things about LILA! Our daughter surprises us everyday with new knowledge of the French culture and language as well as advancing in her English studies all at the same time. Most importantly though is her happiness to be at LILA! I go to pick her up at school and she doesn't want to leave making it very difficult to exit the campus quickly. We love everything about the school and cannot imagine another learning environment for our daughter.
Every day, my daughter comes home and says she had a GREAT day at school. That is music to my ears. As a parent, I am beyond thrilled with the community of teachers, other families and administrators. It is a very welcoming environment. And, I am consistently impressed by the curriculum and skilled teachers. We were seeking a bilingual education in Los Angeles and I feel like we struck gold with LILA. It's a perfect balance of multiculturalism, beautiful environment for learning, academics and extra curricular.
Our daughter is in her second year at LILA. She is currently in kindergarten and we could not be happier. Neither one of us is French but we have Spanish and German speakers in our family. It was very important that our child's education reflect language, cultural diversity, and strong academics in general. All of these parameters are met at LILA and have surpassed our expectations. Our daughter is speaking, writing, reading and counting in both French and English. It is almost as if the French language inspires the English and the English language inspires the French. She is enthusiastic about the school, the students, the teachers, and what she learning.
LILA- Lycee International de Los Angeles- has been an amazing educational experience for my 4 year old son in the Pre-K program, and I look forward to many years ahead in this vibrant and diverse community. It boggles my mind how much he has learned already and how exciting the curriculum is for him. I am not a native French speaker but want my son to be bilingual and learn in an academically rigorous environment. LILA is a pre-K-12 school with over 40 years of experience backed by the French Ministry of Education, is WASC accredited,and whose graduates can choose between an IB or BAC diploma and leave speaking English, French AND Spanish ( with options to study Mandarin, German, Arabic and Japanese). The teachers are dedicated and hardworking- uploading both English and French content to Voicethread to have the kids practice lessons at home, creating activities and projects that involve all 5 senses, managing a class website with photos, videos and blog entries to keep the parents abreast of student activities. Additionally, while my son was having a rough patch behaviorally ( think 4 year old social skills in a very active boy's body), his teacher gave me hand-written DAILY updates on his progress and met with me to collaborate on a plan to help build his interpersonal skills and executive functioning. I know that his teacher understands and cares about my son as a person, and that he is in an environment that is nurturing and safe; there really is no better feeling as a parent than that. You would think that affording such an excellent education would be an issue, but LILA is not much more than the monthly daycare tuition we were paying and FAR less than the average private school tuition in Los Angeles. For parents interested in applying, I would suggest getting as early a start as possible; the waitlist for admission is an undeniable fact, but there is a preference for families who take the initiative to identify LILA as their top choice.
Endorse International School Of Los Angeles - Los Feliz. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.