Morningside Montessori School
One of the first Montessori preschools in New York City, Morningside was opened in 1966 by a group of parents.
More than fifty years later, the school continues to be a gem of Manhattan`s Upper West Side.
We combine Montessori pedagogy with contemporary research-based approaches in an intimate setting, gently introducing children to the school experience. Our programs, led by dedicated teachers who delight in helping children grow, are carefully designed to meet each child`s social, emotional, physical, and cognitive developmental needs.
The school`s close-knit, committed families add immeasurably to the warmth of this wonderful community.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: Montessori School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-Prekindergarten
- Enrollment: 85 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
You can view detailed tuition information here: www.morningsidemontessori.org
- Morningside Montessori School is an independent preschool that combines Montessori philosophy with contemporary early childhood research and best practices to inspire young minds. In our classrooms, students are encouraged to pursue knowledge through their own ideas and interests as well as to learn from each other. Our core values of joy & wonder, a love of learning, warm community, independence, and grace & courtesy reflect who we are and serve as a compass for our future.
- Our Early Childhood five-weekday program provides 3-year-old to 6-year-old children with a sense of order, continuity, and community. We offer morning and full-day programs, with the flexibility to choose which program works well for your family. Early childhood classrooms are at the heart of the Montessori philosophy. Being in an environment with children across a three-year age span allows each child to learn from and work with peers in a range of social, emotional, physical, and cognitive developmental stages. This arrangement mirrors the real world, in which individuals work and socialize with people of various ages, abilities, and dispositions. Our classrooms are designed to support this style of learning within a low child-to-teacher ratio. Younger children observe what slightly older children are doing, piquing their curiosity. Older children model how activities are done, reinforcing their self-esteem and sense of mastery.
- Our Toddler Program encourages two-year-olds to observe, question, and seek answers. The curriculum focuses on enriching vocabulary, building receptive and expressive language skills, and fostering self-awareness and socialization. Children are free to move around the classroom and select materials and activities that pique their interests. Teachers guide rather than instruct. They engage children with classroom materials, model grace and courtesy, and gently encourage two-year-olds as they establish everyday life skills, such as feeding themselves snack, cleaning up, and using the toilet. We offer flexible scheduling options to meet your child's needs. Our Twos Program runs from 9:00 a.m to 12:00 p.m., and for your child to stay for lunch, rest, and play until 1:30 p.m or 3:30 p.m. You may opt to enroll your child for two, three, or five days a week for the duration of the school year.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are Morningside Montessori School often compared to?
Morningside Montessori Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Academy Of St. Joseph by visitors of our site.
When is the application deadline for Morningside Montessori School?
The application deadline for Morningside Montessori School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Morningside Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.